first butt

DanPop

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I smoked my first butt today, meat was tender and exactly what I expected. However, the flavor was a little bland by itself. I had a rub on it, but did I not put enough on? Was I supposed to put it on the day before instead of right before smoking it? Do people inject these cuts? Thanks.

You certainly can inject it. Just do a search on injections and you'll probably find a bunch. What kind of wood did you use? Are you looking for a heavier smoke flavor or more seasonings?

More seasonings, the smoke flavor, hickory, was great throughout!

Put your rub on at least 3-4 hours if not the night before and refrigerate to help build up the bark. You can also apply a seasoned mop during the smoke. Are you slicing or pulling? If you mix up the pork when pulling it, the flavor will be better distributed. So folks sprinkle some additional rub or sauce onto the pork before serving for more flavor. I haven't tried the extra rub because I was affraid it would be to "raw" and concentrated, though I have added some sauce if the butt wasn't seasoned enough. But it all comes down to experimenting until you find what you like. Good luck!

Last butts I did (4) for a bachelor party last weekend I injected (apple juice / garlic & onion powder / and some finely powdered rub ) and they were the best yet - it was the first time I used injection and will from now on.

You can use a little oil when you rub as most of the spices in traditional rubs are oil soluble.

Put your rub on at least 3-4 hours if not the night before and refrigerate to help build up the bark. You can also apply a seasoned mop during the smoke. Are you slicing or pulling? If you mix up the pork when pulling it, the flavor will be better distributed. So folks sprinkle some additional rub or sauce onto the pork before serving for more flavor. I haven't tried the extra rub because I was affraid it would be to "raw" and concentrated, though I have added some sauce if the butt wasn't seasoned enough. But it all comes down to experimenting until you find what you like. Good luck!
I agree with the above...

The mop that I found works the best is 2 cups viniger, 1 cup stone ground mustard, 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt, and 2 teaspoons Fresh ground pepper... Mop the pork every hour until gone... It adds to the color of the bark and helps bring the flavor "Into" the meat from the bark...

Back