Initial Call Checklist

Countryhb

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I may have stumbled upon my first real, big-boy catering gig. With all of Bro Smoke's help, I am extremely confident in the "day-of" procedures but realized that I am completely green in the initial stages area. This prompted me to ask if y'all use some sort of checklist of questions for the initial contact with a potential client? What type of questions are essential, outside of the obvious how many, what food, etc? Do you have a checklist you'd be willing to share with us (me)?

I lost mine on the CPU. Will give some thought and write down what questions I go through. Chit just come naturally now!

I always asked the following -

What is the head count (also include that you will ask this again the week of the event). You don't want people to say 100 when there is only 50 that show. Make sure they understand that they will pay at least the per person price on the last head count, that they provide.

Serving? Do I serve or will serve yourself.

Left overs - do they keep or you take back.
How long will the food sit out? you do not want people going back for cole slaw after it set out for 2 hours, and they will.

Location of the event - does has tables, electricity (if you are using warmers), and water.

Exact time of serving - (sometimes they need you to set up at 11:00 but do not want to serve until the guest of honor comes at Noon).

Untensils - who is providing them

and biggest of them all.

Payment - When do you expect to be paid.

We do it a bit differently. See below

I always asked the following -

What is the head count (also include that you will ask this again the week of the event). Make sure they understand that they will pay at least the per person price on the last head count, that they provide. Absolutely

Serving? Do I serve or will serve yourself. Right On

Left overs - do they keep or you take back. We never take back citing health dept. rules. Less trouble for you.

How long will the food sit out? We tell them that they have 1/2 hour after the last person is served. Want longer, it costs. Keep it cold, it costs, etc...
Location of the event - does has tables, electricity (if you are using warmers), and water.

Exact time of serving - (sometimes they need you to set up at 11:00 but do not want to serve until the guest of honor comes at Noon).

Untensils - We always provide.

and biggest of them all.

Payment - When do you expect to be paid. No money, no unload and set up.

1. How are you doing today?

2. Date of the event?

3. What type of event?

4. Contact Info

5. On site contact person info. (Important for weddings, etc.)

6. How many people are you expecting?

7. Time guest will arrive?

8. What time they would like appetizers served, if any?

9. Is there a kitchen accessible?

10. What time is the meal to be served?

11. What would they like to choose from a given menu?

12. Would you like us to provide drinks?

13. Would you like us to arrange rentals (tables, linens, napkins, heaters, dance floor, plates, silverware, etc?)

14. Will you need bartenders?

15. Boneless chicken versus bone-in?

16. Talk flavor profile, i.e. tequila lime chicken versus bbq chicken, etc.

17. Who will clean up? You should charge for rental clean up!

Things to discuss:

1. payment
2. serving time frame
3. How many staff provided (my rule of thumb is 4 to 100 ppl)
4. Arrival time needs to be discussed to make sure you are meeting their needs
5. Departure time
6. Serving Style (plated, buffet, country style)
7. Utilities such as (water, electricity, etc.)

I will try and add more stuff later, got a meeting! Here is the document Country! Gift of Gab:tongue:

Attachments

• Catering Questions.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 201
Ask about who will be attending. (Old, young, kids, etc.)

Is the event on the side of a cliff?

Indoors or outdoors?

Geez, no thank you for taking the time out of my day to accomadate your arse!

Any updates?

Thank you BBS, PaydaBill, Brink, Stinky, and that other guy...no word yet. Guess that price is going up or the date is moving out.

Back