Tri-Tip dinner courtesy of "The Big Dog"

Excellent looking T-Tip. Looks like about 2.5lb or so. How did you season it and how long did you cook it at what temp, if I may ask.

I used Susie Q's as stated above. I light up one chimney of Kingsford Blue for heat.
Since I cooked it (indirect) on my Weber I don't check the pit temp. I just flip it end for end and over at 10 minute intervals. After 15 total minutes I light up a half chimney of briquettes for the reverse sear. After 40 minutes total I check the IT. It should be getting puffy. At IT of about 115 or so I add the additional briquettes and give it a couple minutes to heat up.
I then do a reverse sear right over the hot stuff for about 2 minutes a side.

Tri-tip takes about 45 minutes almost every time for me. Then it gets a 20 minute rest with a foil tent over it.

I used Susie Q's as stated above. I light up one chimney of Kingsford Blue for heat.
Since I cooked it (indirect) on my Weber I don't check the pit temp. I just flip it end for end and over at 10 minute intervals. After 15 total minutes I light up a half chimney of briquettes for the reverse sear. After 40 minutes total I check the IT. It should be getting puffy. At IT of about 115 or so I add the additional briquettes and give it a couple minutes to heat up.
I then do a reverse sear right over the hot stuff for about 2 minutes a side.

Tri-tip takes about 45 minutes almost every time for me. Then it gets a 20 minute rest with a foil tent over it.
Looks fantastic Marty. You do it almosts exactly like I do.

Back