gas mod: propane or natural gas?

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
According to my calcs in http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1068, natural gas is alot cheaper than propane. Also, once it's installed, no more having to run out for a refill. I imagine parts are about the same either way; except for extending a pipe from your closest natural gas line to the smoker.

So, assuming you're considering a gas mod, what would your preferences be, propane or natural gas? Personally, after "doin the math," and since I've already got natural gas service in my house, I'm leaning towards a natural gas outlet to my rear deck. See http://www.mbsturgis.com/ for an idea of the parts (hose, gas quick connect, etc.).

I got a natural gas line out to where my deck will be built.

At least, I think thats what it is.

Brother in law said, hey your rigged with a gas line here.

I never noticed it.

Guess I could always turn the knob and toss a spark to see if it really is one.

Now I'm curious. I'm gonna take a picture and post it. Maybe you guys know what the fark this is.

It's a black metal (I think) pipe coming straight up out of the ground in my yard, about 12" or so away from the house, with what looks to be a copper coupling on top. All my utility access appears to be right there (except water) with phone and cable wiring junction, as well as the Electric meter.

Copper coupling is what made me think gas.

Mark,

Are you saying that I can plumb up (or get some one to do it) a gas outlet that I can hook up to my grill/cooker/bandera(if I made the mod)?. Does this provide more BTUs or just cheaper BTUs?

R

Bill - you are probably "plumbed" for it but unless you have natural gas already in the house you'll have to get service started (like somebody from Chicago won't know that??) Otherwise just turn on the valve and sniff!! :D

Natural gas is cheaper, usually, but it restricts mobility (duh!! :D). Propane cooks a bit hotter (higher pressure I believe) and you have to refill the tanks.

I guess a lot depends on how much you use the gas grill, if you're already plumbed, availability of service, etc.

I live in Northern Illinois.

We use more natural gas than anywhere in the country. Phil said he was on heating oil and that he needed 10 neighbors to sign up before they lay pipe. I looked at him dumbfounded.

Natural gas stove, water heater, furnace, etc. It was super cheap up until the last few years when the farking supply/demand curve got farked up, coupled with those Enron fucks and a farked up gas trading futures system. Use to be much cheaper then electric, but now is more volatile

Thanks guys.

I will still post a picture to confirm the hookup.

Damn I am glad this house was built in 1991 and they thought of this POOPIE. Luckily for me, I bought it just as it was turning 10 years old, so I have farking bought a new furnace, a new central air conitioning unit, garbage disposal, driveway, rotted window casings, sump pumps, etc.

Now I found mold in the crawl space, gonna be another couple grand to seal that, I need a deck put on, and I have 14 years on the current water heater and 2 girls that will be taking countless showers as they start dating (4 year old informed us she has 4 boy friends at school)

Thats why my priority is to get this deck done, run a gas line, then just stay out ther. Buddy has a gazebo top with roll down mosquito netting. I like the Idea of sitting out on the deck for a week. Get away from my farlking kids

Back on topic:

David, If I could, I would use the gas grill every night (cept weekends., unless I did the gas mod.)

I cook 96% of the meals, on an annual basis, and the only thing that keeps me from grilling isd excessive high winds. My deck desigh will alleviate this.

The cement patio will be mione, and the wooden deck will hold the furniture.

So it sounds like I got lucky with a good home builder

2 quick points:

1) propane burns hotter than natural gas
2) portability-being able to move the grill anywhere
3) exercise (carrying the tanks for refill)

my .000002

Leave the grill in place get your excercise with elbow bends.

http://www.mbsturgis.com/what's_new.htm

Bill:

check this out. It might be all you need :
http://www.mbsturgis.com/Adapter Graphics/103091-144.gif

MB Sturgis is proud to introduce the industry's first 1/2" ID stripwound outdoor natural and LP gas connector. Used in conjunction with a grill, firepit, heater, or other high-volume outdoor appliance, the 103091 is a kit containing a hose and quick disconnect that connects your appliance to the gas line.

CONVENIENCE

No more hard piping your patio or deck. The 103091 replaces the standard gas pipe and gives you the flexibility to move your appliances freely, and it is available in 6' or 12' lengths.

Quick and safe connection and disconnection. After the initial installation of the quick disconnect, no tools are necessary to connect and disconnect your appliance to the gas line.

You can buy bigger appliances. The 103091 has a capacity of 150,000 BTUs at 1/2 PSI.

SAFETY

The internal barb stem creates a bond with the steel of the strip within the hose, thus giving the hose a high pull capacity.

Since there are no tools involved in the routine use of the 103091, you never have to question whether or not the connection is leak tight. Just insert the plug into the quick disconnects and you are ready to go.

COMPETITIVE

Our stripwound hose is more flexible and easier to handle than its thermoplastic counterpart.

Our quick disconnect has a much higher BTU rating than the competition, 150,000 BTUs vs 90,000 BTUs.

For more information about the 103091 or any other products, email us at information@mbsturgis.com

propane or natural gas or electricity

Bill stated:

Natural gas stove, water heater, furnace, etc. It was super cheap up until the last few years when the farking supply/demand curve got farked up, coupled with those Enron f*a*r*ks and a farked up gas trading futures system. Use to be much cheaper then electric, but now is more volatile

It sounds like you've got a pretty good understanding of "deregulation." Enron may have hit the skids but thier spawn lives on. I don't know what your cost per kWh is up in Chi town but say it's $0.10; at 3,412 Btu/kWh, that would equate to 34,120 Btu's per dollar (assuming 100% conversion efficiency to heat).

Next time take pictures, I know you have one of them digital thingy's.

Couldn't help but chuckle on that one Bill. Looks like you're gonna need to buy some copper pipe & fittings if you want to go through with it. If you do & care about code, use pure silver solder. MAPP gas may be hot enough or else use acetlyne (SP?)

I knew a guy who took the cap of the "dirt leg" of his water heater gas supply pipe, hooked up a garden hose and ran it to his smoker burner. Definately NOT code (but it worked).

Back