It's all your fault

TysDad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I'm driving home from the semi-weekly Costco run and I see something sitting on the sidewalk in front of a neighbor's house. Apparently, the trash truck didn't pick it up and it's been there since Tuesday. I stopped at home and unloaded the car. I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I drove back the block-and-a-half to see it. Ooooohhhh, the Brethren will be very happy with me if I put this in the car. It's too obviously the kind of thing you all would be coaxing me to grab - if not for myself, then, at least, a fellow Brethren. I heard all your voices like a manic choir out of the ether "Take it, it'll make a good smoker" ...whispy, smoke like voices...

So I grabbed it. A stainless pool filter. Overall height is 47", 12" tall stand, 12" tall lid. 17 5/8" internal diameter. Nice flange for the lid to sit on - it has a clamp that goes around the whole thing. That would make 22" from the bottom to a grill at the flange. The base is too narrow and will need to be addressed --- but I think it'll do nicely. What do you think?

CIMG0880001.jpg

CIMG0882003.jpg

CIMG0883004.jpg

CIMG0884005.jpg

I think you have a nice score that needs some thought.

I'd have grabbed that too!

Putting my stainless fetish aside and all I think you have a winner like no other my man!!!!!

You did the Brethren proud. I don't know that i could have left it there that long. Great score!!

Paul

You did the Brethren proud. I don't know that i could have left it there that long. Great score!!

Paul

Paul,
I drove to work last week the other way out and didn't see it until yesterday. It was less than 5 minutes between seeing it and having in my backyard... or else the Brethren would have haunted me until I grabbed it!
Paul

I think you have a nice score that needs some thought. I'd have grabbed that too!

Mr. Fox --- What are your thoughts? I'm totally up for thoughts...

It needs a more stable base. It needs the bottom hole to be turned into a drain...maybe. It needs the side hole to be turned into a valved air vent...probably. I would think that the current UDS design of more than one air vent is important, so it will need at least one more to get some kind of symmetry...probably. Charcoal basket...definitely. It needs exhaust vent holes in the lid and handles on the sides of the lid. I'll go back through the UDS thread and my notes from the first time I went through the whole thread to make sure I don't forget anything critical. And I bet you-all will remind me, too, thank God.

So, this makes me wonder if you could talk to a pool/spa place and see if they would save you the next filter they have to remove when their customer upgrades. Sounds to me like an untapped inventory of future stainless UDS's! Call it recycling, saving them the cost of disposal...anything.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." -- Hedley Lamarr

Dawm the things I could do with that right there. I have all the stainless fitting and tubing waiting for it out in the shed.

It's gonna turn some pretty colours when you fire it up.

sweet score, keep us post on what it turns into.

Back