Your Opinions on Brisket Temp

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Ma
Without a formal poll (due to too many options), I was just wondering if you can chime in on a topic that left me befused this weekend.

I know some people pull/wrap/whatever brisket at a certain temp.

I know some will seperate the flat and point when the flat is certain temp, then take the point further.

I know some will look at temp as a framework to then begin to "watch" a brisket for "pinch test" or "fork test" etc.

But this weekend, I heard someone tell me that he pulls a brsiket off at 170*

170*????

These are full packer briskets, and they didn't differentiate from the flat and point??

Never, ever, do I think I read anywhere the number 170* mentioned in a brisket discussion.

I've heard 180*, then feel it with a fork or pinch, Ive heard 190*, even 200*.

So my question: Have you ever heard 170* as a guideline for brisket?

On a second note, he swears by this method. I have also heard commentary that "We like your husbands brisket better"

I cannot believe you have enough connective tissue breakdown at 170*

Your thoughts?

have you tried his shoe leather? I usually pull somewhere aroung 195 Deg. But then again I got no trophys.

Sounds kinda low to me.

In my opinion, 170* was too early....

I usually cook to an internal temp of around 165*, then wrap and take on up to around 185*-187* and start checking for the "in with no resistance" feel. The meat will tell you when it's done.....at comps I'll rest for a couple of hours, then roll the foil back and put back into the cooker so the bark will "bark" back up.....at home I slice and eat........

I've had a couple briskets that were "done" that were in the mid 170* range, but they were the exception to the rule. They also hadn't just hit the 170* range, they had been there for a while.

But I mustard slather so don't go by me :wink:

Who is this person ? Do they cook briskets frequently enough to have a sense of what a properly cooked brisket should be ?

have you tried his shoe leather?

Yes I have.

But since I was warned of its suckyness, It got the 10 hour reheat in the crock pot.

It was some great pulled brisket!

He is very hard to get him to accept someone else's opinion.

He'll be doing one in a few weeks. I told him Thanksgiving is mine, he can do a brisket some other day that weekend

Who is this person ? Do they cook briskets frequently enough to have a sense of what a properly cooked brisket should be ?

In a word, no.

But then I get this "Well in Texas, we..." crap thrown in my face, and I don't bother fighting it.

(note: not a note on Texans, I don't consider him one)

I generally wrap @ 160 pull around 190 and let rest in a coller about 2 hours (give or take) My best finish was 12th in BelAir Md(52 great teams) as Yankee or one of those guys who gennerally do really well and are a role model to the rest of us!!L.O.L.

i usually wrap around 160-170* never thought of pulling one off that early. i usually start testin for doneness like everyone else says about 185* or so. Thats the way i do em in Texas!!!

i usually wrap around 160-170* never thought of pulling one off that early. i usually start testin for doneness like everyone else says about 185* or so. Thats the way i do em in Texas!!!

Thats the way I do them too.

Should make for an interesting Thanksgiving.

Wish I had some moonshine

Briskets either packer or flats...........are done when their done.

I run mine to 190 internal w/a thermometer. Then I slide a fork into the side.
If it goes in like warm budda, its done.

If im going to hold it for a few hours, foil and into a prewarmed cooler.

If im going to slice, I pull it and let it rest for abt a half an hour.

If it doesnt feel like warm budda when ya poke it, aint done in my opinion.

Last one I did, cupla weeks ago, 14 lb. packer, trimmed to maybe 12-13lb., smoked all day, wrapped after 8 hrs, finished inside at 225, pulled at 195 and was the best I had in a while.
Seems like 170 would be borderline.
Dos centavos.

Wrap at 160 pull off at 195, and rest for 2 hours in a dry cooler filled with crumpled newspaper.

me, being the jackass that I am I'd offer him his choice of cookers. You have the Bandera and WSM. He cooks his, and you cook yours. Being a 'Texan' he should have no trouble with 'put up, or shut up'.:wink:

Never heard of pulling at 170...I pull at around 190-195, foil, wrap with a towel, then cooler for an hour or two.

I agree with Jorge, Bill. You should take this guy to school. He ain't got a clue.

I agree with Jorge, Bill. You should take this guy to school. He ain't got a clue.

Yeah, I know.

Thats why I posted the "Bill makes a better one" or whatever in my original post.

It's not about who's method is better, I know what I like.

It was just a number (170*) that struck me as so off guard, regardless of your ending method, that I wanted your all input.

And I don't care what avatar you choose CS, your bald flaming hotty shirt avatar is all I see when you post :twisted:

Back