Foil Pans

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
How many of you use foil pans in the smoker as a convienience
and what are some of the tips for using them. I have a cook coming up that will require 12 - 15 Butts. Thats lotts of Butt Juice.:shock: Just thinkin about making it easier.

I used one last month when I cooked 2 butts for a party. Worked great. Both for reheating and serving. Makes your stuff look like is was catered by a pro.:cool:

For burnt ends but that is about it.

I used one last month when I cooked 2 butts for a party. Worked great. Both for reheating and serving. Makes your stuff look like is was catered by a pro.:cool:

Bigdog, in your case it looke like that cause it was:shock:

Winemaster, I some times use foil pans to finish cooking in- when I am foiling-just put stuff in pans and cover.
I also use a large foil pan as a "water pan" in my cabinet smoker.

Check in with Kickassbbq on his website. he uses foil pans to cook in all the time, and has the technique down to an art.

I use them for drip pans in my Eggs, for making burnt ends, for a double smoke on PP and for reheating.

I use a large pan fille with playground sand for more consistant temps and it also doubles as drip pan.

I put them under the charcoal grate in the UDS to catch the ashes.

When making a lot of butts, I'll put three butts per pan and cover with foil instead of wrapping each but individually. When done, just pull the butts right in the pans, cool to reheat or serve.

Not to steal the thread, but am suprised to see people that do burnt ends dont go direct to the grill with them!:shock: A lot of times I will finish my brisket in a foil pan.

Not to steal the thread, but am suprised to see people that do burnt ends dont go direct to the grill with them!:shock: A lot of times I will finish my brisket in a foil pan.

I was talking only for the sauce reduction not for the additional cooking.

dsc03167aL.jpg

I tried to turn a "dry offset smoker" into a "wet water smoker" using water and foil pans. It drove my GURU knuts!!!!!!!!water vapor/thermodynamics...I just didnt get it. guys from Guru came over @ 2am and looked at a 12lb brisket cooked to tender in 3 hours.{took 16th out 47}.CRAZY!!!!moisture and forced heat what a combo! for sauce, burnt ends and stuff is cool. To add moisture b careful and good luck!!

I use foil pans in my egg just about every time I smoke... But not in the Stumps...

When making a lot of butts, I'll put three butts per pan and cover with foil instead of wrapping each but individually. When done, just pull the butts right in the pans, cool to reheat or serve.

Does 3 fill the foil pan too high with juice, or do you extract?

Dan

Ask Ed, from "kickassbbq" He swears by them!
I use them when I use my home made smoker, which is hardly now that I have the UDS.

I use foil pans on my smokers to catch the drippings all the time.
Easy clean up

DSC01154.jpg

We are all pros here:-D

I used to use them as drip pans when cooking indirectly in the Weber kettle, I replaced them with a couple of different sized metal pans to save money due to the amount of cooks I used to do.

I've never used them in the WSM.

We are all pros here:-D

I've never charged for my services!!!! :lol:

Ah, the 'Ol foil pan trick. I have been using them with ALL my meats for many years. No mess in the smoker, all of those wonderful juices saved for sauces and to add back to the meat for extra flavor.
If you start to get more juice than you want in the pan before the meat is done, take a little out and save it.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

Back