Side Dishes Presentations

SmokeMeTender

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What can be used to present side dishes? Are the side dishe rules the same as the meat presentation rules? Can you use cups etc.

If you have any pictures - that would be great. Any help is welcomed.

I have never been to an event with a "side dish" auxiliary category.

But--the organizer sets the rules for all the auxiliary or ancillary categories.

You will need to ask direct questions to the event to get correct answers.

In general, the entries I have seen for "anything but", "desserts", and all of that are works of art!
Looked like the Iron Chefs or some 5-star restaurant chef prepared them.

Tough to get noticed for a basic cook like me :oops:

Good luck.

TIM

I've done beans for a side dish. You have to find out from the organizer what you can or can't use. In this contest we had to use the clam shell but were allowed to use the bowl as well. As long as it fit within the clam shell. Placed 4th.
picture_094.jpg

Here are some pics of our potato, beans, salsa, and vegetable (mushroom) entries. Some don't look so great, but they are the best we could come up with at the time. The salsa was a second, the beans a third. The mushrooms and potatos placed horrible, but tasted good. Good luck, and if anyone has any suggestions, especially on the vegetables, I am all ears. I would really like to find a good, simple, grilled portobello recipe, maybe with a cheese topping?

Attachments

• Royal06-Spuds (Small).JPG
    Royal06-Spuds (Small).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Royal06-Shrooms (Small).JPG
    Royal06-Shrooms (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 68
  • ButlerSalsa06-2 (Small).JPG
    ButlerSalsa06-2 (Small).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Peculiar06-Beans (Small).JPG
    Peculiar06-Beans (Small).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 68
Dean

I love your bean presentation.

What I think (personally) might make it stand out a little, is if you were to use Red Yellow and Orange Bells, instead of the greens. That way it would stand out against the garnish.

Looking great though!

Dean

I love your bean presentation.

What I think (personally) might make it stand out a little, is if you were to use Red Yellow and Orange Bells, instead of the greens. That way it would stand out against the garnish.

Looking great though!

Thanks, we thought about that but my wife voted against it (she handles the sides). I will hit her up about it again.

Back