thinning chicken glaze

J

jmoney7269

got a really nice glaze for chicken that has been working well but the coverage is kinda gloppy. sometimes i gotta brush it to even it out for the larger sanctioned comps. At smaller non sanctioned comps we do not glaze, but use a nice spritz.
got a big ibca state championship coming up in a local city. here was what i was thinking about doing.
Cooking the chicken normal @350 and then:
1. once the chicken is @140 spritz with my normal spritz with glaze added for a nice pretty semi sweet up front flavor.
2. taking the glaze i make and reduce it with pinapple juice, then strain it so its "spritzable" if thats a word.

essentially what i want to do is get a nice glossy even coat of glaze on my chicken with out it being gloppy.
WWCBD? (what would the competition brethren do? :hail:

If you're looking to just thin it, why not either start with more pineapple juice before you reduce it or just don't reduce it as much, so it's not as thick?

That doesn't seem like it would mess with your overall flavor profile at least.

Just a thought.

As Ron said, we also do a light spritz with warm water to give it a sheen and even out the glaze right before we send the box.

Depending on your glaze ingredients you might try subbing some light corn syrup for your sweetener(s); it makes for a nice glaze.

Thanks for the replies. If I don't reduce to a certai point, the glaze is grainy.
Great ideas thanks. I like the Hott water spritz before closing the clamshell
Chicken is super juicy and tasty, it just kinda looked like crap in the box.
16B49D77-D78C-42C9-B017-4BD4718DABB3-793-000000E7EA579543.jpg

Thanks for the replies. If I don't reduce to a certai point, the glaze is grainy.
Great ideas thanks. I like the Hott water spritz before closing the clamshell
Chicken is super juicy and tasty, it just kinda looked like crap in the box.
522EDCBC-E61D-492F-9BC7-2E5DEF9C986D-2855-0000034BDA2BAE8B.jpg

I hope you're not referring to that chicken when you said it looked like "crap" because that looks pretty nice. I used to be thrilled when my chicken looked like it had been shellacked. In fact, one of my favorite chicken pics is one where you can literally see the trees behind our spot reflected in the sauce on our chicken. I was pretty proud of that. We've cut back a lot since then and scores seem to have improved. Bottom line that is some nice looking product.

That was my first time ever glazing chicken in a comp. we turn in whole halves so they are a lot harder IMO to get a nice covering compared to just thighs.
The chicken flavor was dynamite but I have turned in way prettier compared to this and not even made finals table. I'm going to try a chicken tonight. Got some bird booster been wanting to give a go for some while. Them chickens from HEB or Walmart just don't have that good flavor deep in the meat, gonna skeet some in and see what's up. Gonna post pics later.

Back