Butcher Paper?

Lockon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Why the use of butcher paper during a brisket cook? I presume it replaces the foil wrap? Different taste? better taste???

OK, I'll bite. It's cheaper than foil and it does not react with acidic (i.e., vinegar) sauces. Oh yea, IT WORKS!
Clarification, I would never use a sauce when cooking a brisket, but thats just me. I also use BP on ribs occasionally..

I haven't tried it yet but I've heard it let's more moisture out and keeps the bark from mushing up. I'm going to pick up a roll next time I'm at RD.

I'll even kick back and watch this thread. I don't do the emoticon thing but popcorn sounds good about now.

Last edited:
I was being mostly tongue and cheek with my popcorn emoticon. Reason being, is after the whole Aaron Franklin craze got going there was much to do about his use of butcher's paper.

Unfortunately, brand new un-subscribed members can not use the main search function, but they can use the search at the bottom of the forum or just google bbq brethren butchers paper. You will get a lot of threads.

I am new...sorry if I opened a can of worms. I was watching a show called BBQ Crawl the other night, and I noticed some of those BBQ chefs used butcher paper. I also noticed some pics on here with people using butcher paper. I assure you I was honest in my questions and not trying to be a troll. I thought maybe foil produced a foul flavor.

A new question: what do you mean by "un-subscribed member?" I have a registered user name. I guess I do not understand.

Paper is porous Foil aint, Paper breathes Foil don't. If you foil you might as well shut down your pit at that point and move to your old lady's oven, because the meat is totally isolated from the pit's environment. Paper will retain moisture similar to foil and still allow smoke to get to the meat. Paper is very cost effective when compared to foil.

Does anyone use any off amazon? I was trying to find a roll on there instead of another places. Thx.

Paper is porous Foil aint, Paper breathes Foil don't. If you foil you might as well shut down your pit at that point and move to your old lady's oven, because the meat is totally isolated from the pit's environment. Paper will retain moisture similar to foil and still allow smoke to get to the meat. Paper is very cost effective when compared to foil.

^This^. Also when you use foil your just steaming the meat at that point. You can also use parchment paper and get the same results if you can find BP.

Here's what I use:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x-800-white-butcher-paper-roll/43324TAR.html

I bought the roll last year. I have 2 kids that use it as craft paper quite a bit and I still have half the roll left. I recommend the wider, 24" over the 18". It makes wrapping larger cuts like briskets and chuck rolls easier IMO. I think that if you did a side by side cook comparison, you'd likely want to stick with butcher paper though.

Back