Pork Loin Question

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What is the difference is quality between simply cooking a pork loin to 145-150, and cooking it to 160, wrapping it, then taking it to 200?

If you take it higher can you pull the meat?

Also, is a higher cooking temp best since it is so lean?

Thanks

if you take it to 180 plus you can pull it.. my folks like pulled pork that way.. they have health problems and have to stay away from boston butts and fattier meats.. i cook them that way for them.. most folks eat loins in slices.. Usually smoke them from 275-325 somewhere in there..

I've done it. It's not bad, but not the same texture as pulled pork from a butt. I much prefer loin cooked to 135-140 and then rested and sliced.

Never brought loin that high. I agree with RonL. I like it with some fruity glaze made from something like apple jelly.

For loins I like 275-ish. It's a nice compromise between a nice smoke flavor and a decent color on the outside.

Not enough fat in a loin. It gets dry, it's edible with enough sauce, still tastes dry to me though.

I like to cook loins indirect on the kettle until they're about 135* then finish with a sear on the hot side.

Do yourself a favor and use foil hat rub on pork loin. It's awesome.

I've smoke grilled many loins over the years, but the best ones by far that I have had have been brined.

I usually slice into thick chops and grill over high heat these days. I've smoked them whole or in large roasts before and then sliced and they turn out good as long as they aren't overcooked, but I like the char on a nice grilled slab of meat.

Back