Makin Bacon

polishdon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Started with a 10 lb pork belly, cut it in half.Cured half in a honey cure, the other half got a real maple syrup cure.

After a week in the cure I pulled it out, rinsed it off and let it sit open in the fridge over night. Then hit it with Big Ron's Hint of Houston rub and this is what I was working with:
2013-04-16150118.jpg

Set up my WSM for cold smoking with apple wood:
2013-04-16150956.jpg

Smoked it the first four hours at 100 degrees or less:
2013-04-16151432.jpg

Then bumped up the temp to around 200 for the last 5 hours and this was the result:
2013-04-17003453.jpg

2013-04-17003424.jpg

Wrapped it up, let it sit in the fridge over night, then sliced it up.
2013-04-17181335.jpg

Bacon!!!
2013-04-17182410.jpg

Tastes great, so much meatier than store bought, gotta fry it up on a little lower temp because of all the sugar in the cure, but I will definitely be doing this again.

wow looks amazing. I wanna try bacon next but the pork belly I'm seeing around here is mostly fat :(

That looks awesome, polishdon!

Quick question: any tips for how you kept your WSM temp so low consistently? I find my WSM tends to turn rather warm where I am (NorCal).

That looks great. I've run into the same problem with the outside edges burning from the sugars in the cure when I'm frying it. I haven't tried a lower temp as I was afraid it wouldn't get crispy. Let us know how it turns out. There is nothing like having a freezer full of bacon whenever you want it.

That looks great I gotta try that soon. In our house we bake our bacon. My wife has a pampered chef stone with sides we bake it at 450* for about 15 minutes comes out nice and crispy. It might help with the burning part.

Google "Baking bacon"
I think it was something like a oven at 425, bacon on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for 15/20 mins. Best way to cook.

NUTZ

That looks awesome, polishdon!

Quick question: any tips for how you kept your WSM temp so low consistently? I find my WSM tends to turn rather warm where I am (NorCal).

I use that fire brick set up and only burn 5 or 6 briquettes at a time, adding more as needed. It was also only around 40 degrees here the day I smoked it.

Back