where do I compete

W

weekendwood

I live in wichita kansas and was wondering where I could find a contest that has an amature class. I have never competed before and think it would be a great oppertunity to learn from the pros.
And on another note, does anyone know where I can get a good smoker for about $400. I like the offset firebox type.

Take a look at the KCBS website for contest listings http://www.kcbs.us
If you're not ready for a full blown event, look for events that have grilling contests or backyard competitions as well. They're probably a good place to start.

backyard competitions

In these competitions (usually) you compete in Ribs and Chicken only. Check the KCBS website calander for contests in your area, and e-mail the organizer to see what formats they have at their particular event.

Also, don't rule out entering a regular KCBS event. Teams that know you're competing in your first event will be very helpful, and you'll have a great time.

There is a tailgate division at the Wildcat BBQ battle. It will give you a good idea of what to do. There is an open division as well that you can hang out in. The entry fee is only $30 and it is ribs only, but should have a large comp. feel to it.

Back