Kamado's and cold

deathamphetamine

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It has been hovering right around -40 C in my neck of the woods since the beginning of December. It finally warmed up to about -15, is it too cold to fire up the vision? I'm worried about it cracking even with this unusual warmth we are experiencing. Anyone else have this problem? I'm in BBQ withdrawal and almost cooked a brisky in my oven....

are you serious ? wow talk about a die hard :)

try putting a low wattage lite bulb in it to warm it up slowly first .

I often use my Kamado Joe when its in the negative temps outside and I've never had a problem with cracking or maintaining temps.

I cook in my Kamado Joe in the cold every week. I have used it to about 0-5 degrees Fahrenheit, so thats about -15 Celsius. And usually they are high temp cooks (400*-600*F).

I think you would be fine.

That is the EXACT reason I got a Big Green Egg (winter cooking/BBQ). Works like a charm, even in below zero temps. :thumb:

If it went from -40 to -15 it must be almost time to open up the pool. Man that is cold.

I used my egg for everything from baking pizza to low n slow baby backs in -30 c here in Norway - now problem.. I have probably been closer to cracking standing by the egg waiting for the food to finish than the egg has been..

Back