king cake season is officially open

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
at least in my house. this will be our first king cake of the season. we like them plain (with no fillings), so i have to order them. my favorite place is a vietnamese/french bakery.....

93F61951-5310-45DA-9F7B-82A8DE6FFA42-51681-00000654437725CF.jpg

also grabbed some 8" french bread as well as a loaf of rosemary garlic bread, which is banGin with some olive oil and parm, grilled.

I haven't had the chance to get a king cake ever since I moved to N. Alabama. Used to love ones made by Paul's Pastry Shop in Picayune. May put in an order for the office to have one on Fat Tues.

I have to ask, what is a King cake? The colors are perfect for the Packer/Viking game on Saturday.

i've been real disappointed with them the past few years, but i hear these guys ship as well and are awesome....

http://www.nonnaskingcakes.com/

my place sadly does not ship.

Hmm... that's a problem. To be fair, I haven't lived in south MS in many years, but back in the day Paul's was the go-to place. Been gone from there too long to know where to get a good one anymore. :cry:

Paul's was always our choice when I lived in Waveland MS and Slidell LA. Randazzos is another great source.

King Cakes are basically over-priced cinnamon rolls.
Most of the grocery stores down here sell them and for the most part they suck.
Never had one that was "fantastic".

Hmm... that's a problem. To be fair, I haven't lived in south MS in many years, but back in the day Paul's was the go-to place. Been gone from there too long to know where to get a good one anymore. :cry:

i got mine from pauls up until about three years ago. my other favorite place to get them on the coast is sweet stuff cakes on popps ferry road. le bakery is on oak street down on the point (biloxi).

King Cakes are basically over-priced cinnamon rolls.
Most of the grocery stores down here sell them and for the most part they suck.
Never had one that was "fantastic".

i'd agree with this, but have you seen the price of cinnamon rolls lately!?

IMO, king cakes can be done well or done cheaply and most of the ones i have seen are done cheaply and are not fantastic. the one in that picture above, fantastic.

Ain't nothing cheap these days.
There are a couple of bakeries locally and their king cakes are no better than the ones at the grocery stores. There is one bakery that makes them and they are probably the best i've had but on the expensive side and you have to order ahead of time.
Haven't bought any this year but I guess I need to at least eat one.

Make 'em yourself! Recipes are all over the net and not difficult. We had a couple a few days after Christmas...a bit early, but who cares?

I might make one of these up, however whenever I decide to do one I just make cinnamon rolls... because I worked in a cinnamon roll/donut/kolache bakery for ages, and they are much simpler for me to do. Looks good though in either event. Mmmm, cinnamony goodness.

Back