Best trailer smokers

You need an NSF or UL rated smoker in MN in order to be legal. Sorry. But MN is a bit tougher than other states. I highly recommend you meet with your state inspector for your area before any purchase. You may end up selling that really pretty offset which is just fine for comps but not legal for catering. Also you will most likely need a mid sized location license or access to an existing business or commerical kitchen in order to be allowed to cater. Its possible but you have to work within the guidelines.

I have and use these in vending so I know their strengths and weakness. Knowing all I do I would look at two units. The Traeger COM200 and the Lang 84 Deluxe with warming cabinet. The Traeger goes for $9000 new but can be found for $4500 used or less for the older SMK200 which is the only in an older model but in many ways better than the newer COM model. Both the Traeger models will hold 250 chicken quarters and cook even top to bottom rack. Cost to run the Tragers is about 3 pounds of pellets per hour but with BBQ pellets $10 per 25 pounds at Home Depot, it's good.

I use Southern Pride...NSF approved and use whole logs, propane assist...dont have to worry about pellets when cooking 20 or 30 butts and 15 briskets...

Back