Smokin' on the Rio

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
I am looking at popping my competition cherry. It is an official state championship which they say will qualify you for The Royal and put you into a lottery for the Jack Daniels.

$150 entry fee, pork spareribs, brisket, fajitas, beans and chicken, no pork butt.

http://www.smokinontherio.com/entryform.htm

Hopefully I can get my employer to sponsor the entry fee and the meat costs.

I be confused.

I don't know how this can be a KCBS contest without Pork Butt. KCBS rules state that there are four meat categories to qualify as a KCBS sanctioned event and pork butt is one of the four. They can add other categories, but they can't count towards the GC of the event.

Can any of the KCBS board members confirm that this contest will qualify for the American Royal? or the Jack?

From the Rio website
"The cook-off has been proclaimed a “Texas State Championship” by Senator Juan “Chuy” Hinojosa. With this proclamation, winners will automatically qualify for the “International Barbeque Cookers Association Cook-Off”, “The American Royal” in Kansas City, and will even be entered in the lottery for the “Jack Daniels Invitational”."

As a side note, Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa was busted recently for carrying a pistol in an airport and got busted at the security checkpoint. He forgot it was in his briefcase. He was taken downtown and a judge released him. Said he had done nothing wrong since he had not intended to break the law.

Even the liberal democrat locals thought that was BS.

The Jack requirers that a championship include 3 of 5 meats, chicken, ribs, pork butt, brisket or whole hog, the competition would qualify if there is proclamatiom and 15 teams for the first year, 25 after that. If there are 50 teams you don't need a proc.
Jim

THanks for the explaination, but does it qualify for the American Royal?

jminion said:
The Jack requirers that a championship include 3 of 5 meats, chicken, ribs, pork butt, brisket or whole hog, the competition would qualify if there is proclamatiom and 15 teams for the first year, 25 after that. If there are 50 teams you don't need a proc.
Jim

Jim,

I thought it was changed to 4 out of the 5 categories to be a Jack qualifier now... Maybe I need to re-listen to Tana's podcast.. But I thought thats what caused the big stir with MIM, and the reason why Ronnie Wade is coming out of Texas and cooking more KCBS events...

BrooklynQ
Normally if the Jack takes the Royal will but each has the right do what they want.

Kevin
It could have changed again, it's hard to keep up.
MIM only cooks pork for their championship (ribs, shoulder and whole hog) that is the reason they are not invited as it was explained to me.
Jim

It's a common misunderstanding that the American Royal is THE KCBS event. It probably should be, but it isn't.

The Invitational and the open are stand alone events put on as part of the American Royal, a month long 100 year old livestock show. Both are run by KCBS reps, the invitational is not officially sanctioned and the open is. Just another KCBS cookoff, with 500 teams.

"fajitas"

Well I can see the Royal 25 years from now. The 4 catagories... fajitas, chalupas, chimichangas and margaritas. Sponsored by Taco Bell of course.

Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it. Adios

drbbq said:
It's a common misunderstanding that the American Royal is THE KCBS event. It probably should be, but it isn't.

The Invitational and the open are stand alone events put on as part of the American Royal, a month long 100 year old livestock show. Both are run by KCBS reps, the invitational is not officially sanctioned and the open is. Just another KCBS cookoff, with 500 teams.

Thanks Doc. I didn't realize that the invitational wasn't sanctioned.

Back