Cast Iron Pots on the Grill/Smoker

B

beachape

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about getting a 5 quart cast iron pot to use on the smoker for making chili, beef stew, or soups. I have a wsm and was thinking that I could put it in a "little black egg" configuration with the cooking grate over the coal ring and then put the pot on there.

Anyways, I was wondering if there is any benefit to cooking something like beef stew or chili in the smoker over coals and wood? Does it gain any of the smoke flavor? Or is it just better to cook it on the electric :oops: stove? If anything it would give me more reason to cook outside...

Thanks!

Think of your smoker as an "oven" with smoke flavoring.

Although I do not use cast iron, I doo cook mac & cheese and beans while in the finishing stages of the meat.

Do what works for you and your tastes...

I cook with cast iron dutch ovens in my smokers all the time. Get an enamal coated CI DO for acidic foods like foods with tomatoes and a plain CI DO for everything else. I've cooked chili and tomato sauce in regular CI but I think the enamal coated stuff works better with much less leaching of iron.

Good luck.

I always make my chili and chile verde on my smoker in a cast iron Dutch Oven. I don't own an enamel one so can't talk to that!

We have one Enamel Dutch Oven, and 6 Cast Iron D.O.
My wife would have a duck if I used her Enamel D.O. in a smoker.
I use my Cast Irons for soups, stews, Chili's, beans, breads ect...

It will if you leave the top off for the first part of the cook.Top on,no different from stovetop or oven.Top off first few hours = smokey goodness!

You can also put your uncovered beans under a brisket to give it more flavor.

Sent from my obsolete 3GS iPhone.

Anytime I make brats or dogs,I mix up a bunch of kraut,peppers,onions and butter in a cast iron skillet right on top of my grill.Or when I go camping I make breakfast in a cast iron skillet right on top of my pit.

You should also pick yourself up a nice lodge skillet while you are at it!

ChuckRoast86016.jpg
DinoBones86012.jpg
AngusBrisket1024022.jpg

Great, now I gotta go and buy a dutch oven now too!!:laugh:

THAT 5 qt dutch oven is the single most indispensable piece of cast iron that I own. It's the single most versatile piece in my collection. I can't recommend that highly enough. I wish they made smaller versions of it.

Back