2011 Sam's Club BBQ Tax Info

Red Valley BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone received 1099's from your winnings from the 2011 Sam's Club BBQ Series?? I'm ready to do my taxes, but I'm still waiting on the forms from KCBS.

We received a few tax docs today, but i don't think the Sam's 1099 was one of them. They have until Monday :)

BTW, I doubt that they will come from KCBS. They should come from Sam's since they are the ones who paid the money.

I was thinking MMA because I thought my check came from them. Could be wrong.

They do not have to send to you although they should. They are required to report to IRS you can include it as income and file without 1099. Legally you must report all winnings 1099 or not.

They do not have to send to you although they should. They are required to report to IRS you can include it as income and file without 1099. Legally you must report all winnings 1099 or not.

Ford, I didn't think you had to report anything under $600. I know it works that way with gambling. I don't report small lottery winnings.

According to the Form 1099-MISC instructions:

Box 3. Other Income
Enter other income of $600 or more required to be reported on
Form 1099-MISC that is not reportable in one of the other
boxes on the form. Also enter in box 3 prizes and awards that are not for
services performed.

I wonder since they made us fill out a W-9 at each of the Sam's Club contests we won prize money, if they are going to combine the winnings on one 1099 or if they are going to keep them seperate. I would assume they will combine them.

We received a few tax docs today, but i don't think the Sam's 1099 was one of them. They have until Monday :)
Nothing like waiting until the last minute....

If they report to the IRS winnings paid to you I think they also have to send you a 1099 by 1/31.
I'm no tax laywer, just a award winning BBQ cook.
Ed

Its on the way...they called me last week to get my ss and mailing info.. uggggh
They got till Monday

Got mine today as well...FARK!!!!!! Oh well, Mr. Tax Man will get his share. :doh:

For you guys that got them, did any of you win less than $600?

Its on the way...they called me last week to get my ss and mailing info.. uggggh
They got till Monday

From what i have been told businesses aren't required to submit the 1099 info to the govt until the end of Feb. Individually you have to claim all revenue so if you don't claim it and they submit your winnings, you have the chance of getting audited.

Not worth it to me.

I have never competed, so have no winnings, but ....

Wouldn't you be able to deduct expenses from winnings prior to paying taxes on them?

Another thought, are the entrance fees a charitable contribution and thus deducted?

Would only the chief cook be responsible for taxes, even if the team splits both the expenses and winnings?

This is a disaster!!! I've been dreaming of competiting this year and these thoughts never crossed my mind!

For you guys that got them, did any of you win less than $600?

We were over $600, but I am interested to hear from those that didn't to see if they got one as well. I know anything over $600 is required to have one, but since they made everybody that won prize money fill out a W-9, I be interested to know if those that got less than $600 got a 1099.

For anyone that received a 1099....did your 1099 have a Federal Tax ID number for MMA Creative? Mine didn't, but I need a number to put into my tax software.

For the last 3 weeks, I have been filling out returns for seniors and low income folks. We sometimes don't have tax ID numbers on some documents. I don't know if it will work but try putting in all 9s in the number. A call to MMA might get you the number also.

Benny

Back