• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spray with apple juice before freezing pulled pork ?

R

Rover >~<>

Hey guys, I was hoping someone with experience freezing pulled pork could offer me a suggestion on whether i should spray it with a little apple juice first or just put it in freezer bags as is.

I plan to take the pork butt off the smoker, let it rest, pull it, let it cool, pack it in ziplock freezer grade bags, suck out the air with a straw and throw in the freezer.

Then to reheat, i have read that i can place the freezer bags in a pot of barely boiling water and it will come out perfectly moist again.

Does anyone see any problem with this, and should i spray with the juice first. Thanks to all who reply.

If the pork is good and moist, just follow your freezing plan. Just squeeze the excess air out of the bag. no real need to suck the air out with a straw for a short freeze (3 months or so) and you aren't likely to accidentally spit down your straw. Mine always gets eaten sooner than that. If things are a little dry when you reheat you can always add a little liquid, apple juice, white grape juice, broth, bbq sauce, water, white wine etc.

I've always just bagged and froze it with no adds and like realspaazz said, if it is dry when you reheat it, just add some liquids of your choice.

Try investing in a food saver if you can. The meat comes out just as moist weeks/months later. Great tool to have IMO.

If I know I am going to freeze, I'll foil the butts when they hit about 170. You'll get a lot of drippings in the foil. When pulling mix the juices in with the meat. Should provide plenty of moisture when reheating.
I usually keep apple juice with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it to mix in the meat just in case the meat has to spend a long time in a roaster / crock pot, etc.

For a short freeze you should be ok, get all the air out and freeze without adding anything to it. When I reheat pulled pork I usually just add a touch of apple juice and a small amount of my rub and mix it well, its worked for me.

Agree with the posts above, I freeze as is and add liquidswhen reheating if it looks dry.

If your pork wasn't dry when you froze it, it typically won't be dry when it is reheated (unless your reheat technique dries it out).

I've never really understood adding apple juice to bbq. I want my bbq to taste like bbq, not an apple pie. LOL (j/k)

"Then to reheat, i have read that i can place the freezer bags in a pot of barely boiling water and it will come out perfectly moist again".

Does this work well?

Back