• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Brine (pic)

John, thanks for sharing the recipe, looking forward to giving it a try. Out tomorrow in search of that illusive Chinese Five Spice.

I'm using this brine for my trial-run turkey, and intend to on the "official" turkey. Funny story when looking for the elusive Chinese Five Spice. I Looked at a couple close smaller grocery stores, empty handed, I decided to call around. EVERY place I called, said they didn't carry it, and that someone else had just asked about it. I finally decided to stop at a lowly tiny Food Lion grocery store next to my house. I asked a stock lady, and she said that every thanksgiving someone asks about it and that they didn't have any. Just as I turned to leave, she mentioned that I could check their McCormick seasoning area of the regular spice section and LOW AND BEHOLD there it was. It's not the Sun Luck brand, but by golly I got some. Funny thing is what can you imagine these other people are using this Chinese Five Spice for...? ;)

It really sucks living in a podunk town.

Looking forward to the cook tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe!

Ha! Dude, that is funny. For the rest of you that are stuck in Podunkdom,
just use allspice.

John

John,
I used your simple brine today on an inhanced bird. I cut the salt down from 1.5 cups to just 1 cup. Also, what is the difference between light brown sugar and dark brown sugar. The recipe I used didn't specify so I used light brown.

Dark brown sugar = more molasses. If you don't have dark, just add a slight
splash of molasses (maybe 1/2 tsp per cup of light brown sugar) to your
light brown sugar.

John

After many years of doing it my way, I'm going for the brine this Thanksgiving and your recipe is the one I'm using. The combination of flavors sounds real enticing. Thanks!

After many years of doing it my way, I'm going for the brine this Thanksgiving and your recipe is the one I'm using. The combination of flavors sounds real enticing. Thanks!

Bo - I'm flattered that you'd try my brine for such a special meal.

"Bo" was the nickname of my first O.J.T. supervisor in the Air Force? :wink:

Please let me know what you think.

John

I'm a big fan of brining but usually just use a 2:1 mixture of salt to sugar (1 cup of salt/gallon of H2O). I think I will try your recipe. Thanks!

What's funny is while we were at a comp in Mesquite,Nv this labor day I met a guy from St George,Ut that was raving about your brine..don't ask me how we got on the subject of turkey in 115 degree heat..lol!...I'll have to try your recipe this year..the Internet has truly shrunk the world.

I have tried Johns brine on when I did a turkey breast for some club sammies and really enjoyed it. I don't fell the need look up other turkey brines I'll just continue to use this one

What's funny is while we were at a comp in Mesquite,Nv this labor day I met a guy from St George,Ut that was raving about your brine..don't ask me how we got on the subject of turkey in 115 degree heat..lol!...I'll have to try your recipe this year..the Internet has truly shrunk the world.

That is funny and ironic.

John

Hey PD tried your brine for Christmas. Came out very moist. I even liked the breast, I'm usually a dark meat kind of guy. Quick question on flavor. I did not taste any of the flavors from the brine. I followed your recipe except I forgot the Old Bay so I just added more five spice. This isn't a complaint because I'm a purist when I roast turkey and stuffing and have avoided a brine. Just curious if you usually have flavor added or just the added moistness. It was a Butterball so it was enhanced so I cut down the salt.

Yes, the brine certainly should have added a subtle flavor to the turkey.
The Old Bay is a key ingredient, so leaving that out would eliminate a lot.

Glad it worked well for you.

-John

BUMP!

Patio,

Got my 20 #er in the brine as we speak. Used the basics of your recipe, added some, took some away based on available ingredients. Plan on smoking tonight on my stickburner. Burning charcoal (K) and cherry and apple wood. Plan on using temps between 250 and 275*. Any thoughts on time it may take? Thanks for the recipe and help.

Also planning on seasoning under and on top of skin with Montreal Chicken seasoning and canola oil. Inside getting stuff with chopped taters, quartered onions, EVOO, and seasoning just for kicks. Will post pics.

BUMP!

Patio,

Got my 20 #er in the brine as we speak. Used the basics of your recipe, added some, took some away based on available ingredients. Plan on smoking tonight on my stickburner. Burning charcoal (K) and cherry and apple wood. Plan on using temps between 250 and 275*. Any thoughts on time it may take? Thanks for the recipe and help.

First, I wouldn't recommend low-n-slow for big birds. You really need to get
the heat up to at least about 325* to avoid it hanging in the food safety
danger zone (40-140*) too long.

At 325*, it should take 6-7 hours, but your mileage may vary.

John

I am going to be doing a 12 1/2 lber this weekend using this recipe. First brine ever. Thanks for this.

Question, breat up or down?

Could I do low and slow for the 12 pounder or should I do as you suggested above and do it at 325??

Back