I am taking a Judging class on 1/21.

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am taking a Judging class, then the table captains class in Parker Co on the 21st and 22nd. Also the 4 legs up cooking class.

What should I know going in? Any question you want answered?

For example. how do you ignore the smoke ring and greens?

How do you not compair between entries. I would think if you like the last bite of rib better then the past 2 then it should get a higher score.

Any more?

troy

What should I know going in?

For example. how do you ignore the smoke ring and greens?

How do you not compair between entries.

Any more?

troy

Nothing, go in with a blank slate and an open mind and do what you are instructed.

I ignore the smoke ring becaues I know it can be artifically induced. Do I think that most that I see at competitions are real, yes I do, but I also know that with everything in life, there is always one Wanker that wants to pull something over on me, much like the Man.

I am not sure you should ignore the greens. They do not have to be used, so don't have a bias if they are not, but they are not banned, so don't have a bias if they are used. If you feel they enhance the appearance of the meat judge that way.

You don't compare because you judge the meat in front of you and move on. It is human nature to want to compare the next bite, yes it is, at least it is for me. It is not easy, it is something you will gain expertise at as you judge, I know of no other way for you to learn...But let me tell you this, you are at least thinking about it, and that puts you ahead of the game in my book, and given the option of you or the new CBJ that is not thinking about this stuff...I hope my food hits your table hands down, rather then the guy that is not thinking like this!

+1 for Bentley's response. The classes will contain what you need to know -- go into them with an open mind. Remember: You learn and judge to the standards, not your own tastes and preferences. Chances are, after you've completed a judging class, you'll never look at barbeque the same way again. You will, I hope, learn also that the cooks work super hard and deserve your best effort to judge their entries fairly. I like your attitude. Have fun, too!

Hub

Second what Bentley and Hub mentioned.

Forget what you thought you knew about BBQ.

If Kelly (4 legs up) does his class the same, my best advice is to ask all of the questions you possibly can, especially to the judges that are there. There is some really good info that can come out of that.

Back