Brisket - Hot & Fast take 3 (w lots of Pron)

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Today was my 3rd cook of brisket using a hot & fast method and 6th brisket overall.

I found a nice 11.9 lbs Choice brisket at a Select price (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93984) and needed to smoke it today for a family gathering.

Last night it was trimmed (down to 11.25 lbs), injected, and then rubbed with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick with a mix of brown & turbinado sugar.
IMG_6438.jpg

I fired up Jabba the Egg at 3 AM with some hickory chunks for smoke and got the brisket on by 3:40 AM. I took some inspiration from a Saiko hot & fast post (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87343) and smoked the 1st hour at a low temp and then pushed it up to a target temp of 315 where it sat for another 5+ hrs before removing it.
IMG_6454.jpg

Juices were flowing from the point & it smelled SO good:
IMG_6457.jpg

Separated the point from the flat & put the flat into a pre-heated cooler for a rest:
IMG_6464.jpg

Cubed the point:
IMG_6469.jpg

Seasoned with more rub & some sauce & placed back into the Egg:
IMG_6472.jpg

Had some tasty burnt ends 2 hrs later:
IMG_6476.jpg

Sliced the flat:
IMG_6486.jpg

Overall, the best tasting burnt ends I've had (admittedly I haven't had that many). The flat wasn't quite as juicy and tender as my previous 2 hot & fast tries but those were foiled around 165-170 where with this one I only foiled for the rest period. I think I could have let it go a little longer (pulled it off at 198 - thermometer went in like butter in the point but not quite as smooth into the flat). I was happier with the bark on this try than on my previous cooks and it had a more pronounced smoky smell than when I went hot from the get-go in previous cooks. The family was quite happy with the brisket so I'm happy! :-D

Thanks to many Brethren for a ton of insight on brisket and many other areas!

Last edited:
Looks nice. I've done very well foiling or panning at 170. I like to add a little leftover injection to the foil/pan at that time.

Very nice! :clap2:
From the pic and your comment about the thermometer, I'm thunking it probably needed just a tad bit longer on the flat. The point is always going to be done before the flat, so use the flat as your guide as to when to pull. By far the hardest part about briskys is knowing when to pull from the smoker because there are so many variables.
Even using the flat as the guide, different parts of the flat are done at different times. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it is impossible to get the entire flat perfect, you are either going to have some parts slightly underdone or some parts slightly overdone. The thin edge of the flat farthest from the point, along with the narrow section of the flat that sits on top of the point will almost always be probe tender before the middle, thickest section of the flat.
It just takes trial and error to figure out that perfect time to pull the brisky, as your rest time and technique will also come into play.

Your third attempt was a heck of a lot better than my third attempt. :-D Your burnt ends look perfect! Better than any brisky you'll get at a restaurant!

Back