Correctly Aged Wood

C

co7bbq

So I have just begun to go from backyard bbq enthusiast to stepping it up a notch and starting a competition team and even a BBQ Joint (restaurant). I Just joined the Brethren, Ive been in the fire service about 15 years now, and it is just the same feeling. Everyone is out to help the other and take care of their own people.

So here is one of my first "probie","rookie", "recruit" questions: Ive heard different opinions on the proper age wood should be before using it in competition bbq or just for smoking meat in general. I know "green" wood is no good, but is there a certain "age" the wood should have before using to smoke meat? And is there a time when wood is too "aged" to use?

all depends on your cooker--some cooks(danny g) prefer green wood in their machines--decide on your cooker b4 you decide on you wood

I would agree it has alot to do with your smoker and cooking temps. If your using higher pit temps you can use green wood with little problem.

I'm actually prefer fruit woods, cut, split and seasoned for 3 months. Three months gives me anywhere from 15-20% moisture. Hardwoods on the other hand are usually a year out until I use them(which is rare). I use a wood moisture meter to determine internal moisture(wood is split and reading is taken, if you test wood while is seasoning you need to split it again to get an inside reading)

I my experience any wood that has been cut and stored for over three year gets tossed.....funky stuff starts to happen.

just my 2 cents...

Well Ive been using a typical weber backyard grill in the past, and for all my backyard fun. But for the competition, we have not bought yet, but I believe we have decided on a Stumps Cooker. I realize a lot has to do with the type of wood also.

Back