Wife LOVES The Fatty

QuietOne

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
and you KNOW there's a but in here.

Maple Leaf breakfast sausage goes for 7.89$ for 700 grams WHEN it's on sale. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

So I'm looking for a quick breakfast sausage recipe using 454grams (1 pound) of ground pork.

I can find recipes that start with 10 lbs of pork butt........ that's too much. I can get ground lean pork in smaller containers 400 to 800 grams. every month or two.

Help a guy out, please

What flavor are you looking for? There are many breakfast sausage recipes posted here but they are hard to find. I can help if you tell me what you are after. I'm a sausage making maniac myself.

I'll be back tomorrow, AVG say's I need to reboot and work comes early in the AM.

Quick google gets this:

MAPLE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
3 pounds lean pork butt or shoulder
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon kosher or coarse salt
2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (fine grind)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons milk

I'm sure you can do the math.

Thanks, I'm giving that a try. Mixed and sitting will lay it on the UDS tomorrow.

I've used Alton Brown's recipe with lean ground pork before
You can find the recipe HERE.
You can also watch the episode on youtube
Part 1 and Part 2

I modified at little bit based on what I had on hand and this is what I used:

2#s lean ground pork
2 tsp Dried Sage
2 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp Summer Savory (the amount might be off, I should have been a doctor my hand writting is so bad :rolleyes:)
3 tsp Italian seasoning (lots of good stuff in there including rosemary, basil, oregano, sage and thyme)
1 tbl Brown Sugar
0.5 tsp Nutmeg, freshly ground
0.5 tsp Cayenne
0.5 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

Mix all the ingredients well, and form into logs. If you watch the video Alton's method works well for doing this.

I've never smoked this as a fatty before, but I would think a bacon weave might be a good idea if you use lean ground pork.

I think I need go buy some pork! :cool:

and you KNOW there's a but in here.

Maple Leaf breakfast sausage goes for 7.89$ for 700 grams WHEN it's on sale. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

So I'm looking for a quick breakfast sausage recipe using 454grams (1 pound) of ground pork.

I can find recipes that start with 10 lbs of pork butt........ that's too much. I can get ground lean pork in smaller containers 400 to 800 grams. every month or two.

Help a guy out, please

Wow, JD Maple was on sale here last week @ 2 for $4.00. And i had a $1.00 off coupon if you bought 2.

Wow, JD Maple was on sale here last week @ 2 for $4.00. And i had a $1.00 off coupon if you bought 2.
I guess it's difficult to get here:

NT_2000777.gif

QuietOne! I hope your home made sausage turns out great!

Once you make your own sausage, it will be all over for you with the commercial stuff. Enjoy!

Back