• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker & Grill

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My friend is looking for a smoker and grill in 1. I'm not sure what to recommend him. His budget is 250. I have a cheapo offset that I got for under 200 and thought I'd recommend that to him. But perhaps you guys have better ideas.

Build a UDS!!!! :-D

Seriously, though, I like the looks of the cheap offset smokers. Definitely NOT competition or professional grade, but they remind me of the offset my dad made from a drum when I was a kid.

You can smoke on the, grill on them, or both at the same time...

Good way to get your feet wet without blowing too much money. If/when your friend deicdes it is worth his while, he can upgrade. Should it not be his cup of tea, no major investment wasted.

Brinkmann offset allows you to grill on the firebox side, or use use charcoal in the main chamber and allows for multiple heights of charcoal. With a little practice it works just fine as a smoker, but I wouldn't try an over-nighter with it.

Brinkmann offset allows you to grill on the firebox side, or use use charcoal in the main chamber and allows for multiple heights of charcoal. With a little practice it works just fine as a smoker, but I wouldn't try an over-nighter with it.

This is what I do when I want to grill with mine too.

I'll email him the thread later tonight so he can make his own decision on what to get. I think the brinkmann would work fine, but the kettle sound better.

I have a Chargriller with SFB. Not only have I turned out some great smoked butts & ribs, I also have indirect grilled chickens & pork loins & direct grilled steaks, burgers, dogs etc. Got it at Lowes for less than $200 total.

I would recommend the Chargriller with a SFB also. It has a larger diameter (think turkey) than most other offsets in that price range and has a larger grilling area than a kettle.

Might try a 22.5 Weber kettle plus a Smokenator accessory. Best of both worlds but rather limited capacity for low-n-slow smoking.

Thanks everyone. He didnt follow my advice nor yours. He purchased a Traeger Pellet smoker/grill. The Jr model. The simplicity of use and set and forget it is what made him choose that one.

Back