Frustrating day BIG job offer and I had to say no

Alan in Ga

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I had to turn down a 1000 person catering job today because I am not equipped to handle one that large yet. I was an outdoor event for a childrens fishing tourney. We are a very new upstart company that has been doing small "caterings" to co-workers and a few churches. I want to get big enough to handle jobs this large but not there yet. Got our name and number from word of mouth and sought me out at work. I told him I appreciated the offer but it was too large at this time but I would be glad to handle anything smaller in the near future and was looking to expand our business. Anybody else had to do this in the beginning and did it affect business in the future. Alan

57 Smokehouse BBQ Team
NB offset
250R offset trailer (very soon)

www.57smokehouse.blogspot.com/

Alan,

Just a suggestion. Get to know fellow BBQ Brethren local and Brethren can band together and do large jobs. You of course have to know and trust them prior to setting up, but it is a way to get the large jobs. Of course everyone gets a split of the profit.:biggrin:

wouldn't have it any other way (profit wise) I new here but getting to know some wonderful people

You should have taken the job, rented equipment if needed, if you kept the menu simple, it is pretty simple. For 1000 people, let me know if you can get the job I will drive down from NJ with an fec750 and a hell of a lot more equipment for the right price and we can get it done together. Get that job back!

On the other side of the coin, you apparently have a good reputation building and should not be blind to your capabilities. Yes, you need to make strategic partnerships and find a good team, but, never take a job that you know you are not prepared to do and damage that reputation. A good reputation is hard to build, it is much harder to rebuild it.

You should have taken the job, rented equipment if needed, if you kept the menu simple, it is pretty simple. For 1000 people, let me know if you can get the job I will drive down from NJ with an fec750 and a hell of a lot more equipment for the right price and we can get it done together. Get that job back!

and THERES YOUR ANSWER! :eusa_clap

Alan,

I have a mobile kitchen and a Lang model 84 live in Newnan, GA. Send me a PM (personal message) so we can discuss.

If this business is what you want to do, then never turn down a job because it is too big. If there is enough lead time you can figure out how to do it, and it will lead to many more jobs. The above responses should already show you how to get er done.

My commercial smoker has been lent out to fellow bbq brethren on many occassions for larger jobs with much success.....anyone in my neck of the woods can keep that in mind.

Giggler, when ya bringing the rig back ? lol, just kidding, I'll let ya know if I need it, I'd rather you practice on it at your house so we can get a few big jobs this summer and punch it out together.

No didn't get it back. He had already gone with a local restaurant with the job. I appreciate all the offers and advice you can bet this will not happen to me again. The outreach of this group is refreshing and not found very often and I really appreciate it. I will keep everone posted of future jobs and If I need help or advise. Alan

No didn't get it back. He had already gone with a local restaurant with the job. I appreciate all the offers and advice you can bet this will not happen to me again. The outreach of this group is refreshing and not found very often and I really appreciate it. I will keep everone posted of future jobs and If I need help or advise. Alan

This further evidence of the fantastic people that inhabit this board and this crazy little world of BBQ!

Good luck going forward, Alan!

don't worry you will get more jobs. Just curious what they wanted and what you would have charged?

It takes real smarts to turn down a job too big for your current setup. Dont write a check your ass cant cash. you did just the opposite. I applaud you, the time will come and you will do larger. The last thing you want to do is ruin your name because you cant keep up with the production needed.

PS...I would have worked for free just to eat:)

You probably did the right thing turning down a job. It is better to build up to that size job.

As I started doing bigger jobs (and never one that size), I found that your refrigeration requirements and prep time will increase dramatically. I have three refrigerators and they have all been full on many occasions.

While folks on this site have the best intensions, there are times to say no and times to say yes. Just because the job is out there doesn't mean it has to be done by you. It is also crazy to take on a job of that size and figure it out how you will get it done later.

The biggest problem you will encounter when doing larger jobs other than the issues that I mentioned above would probably be that the quality of your product will not receive the TLC it would receive on a smaller job. You have no choice but to take shortcuts and change things just to minimize your prep time.

Keep it simple and it will turn out like you want it. I have learned that from experience.

Back