Meatloaf on UDS question

H

Hugh Jorgan

Anybody done it? Any tips? What I'm thinking of is just the basics. Two or three pounds of ground beef, some sauteed bacon, onions and peppers and tomato paste or ketchup rolled and cooked like a fatty.

Any tips or tricks? Such as fat content of grind, ground chuck or ground sirloin, how to keep a good shape on the grill, etc. Thanks for any constructive replies. I want to get a couple of beef loaves under my belt before I try with venison/beef mix.

Pron is always welcome if ya got it. :-D

smoke it like a fatty, but haven't tried it myself but that is what i would do :p:p

Nothing like meatloaf from a smoker....you'll never go back!

No hard-and-fast rules, just what-ever taste good. Sometimes I use a bowl to mold it into a round shape for more even cooking. I take mine to 160° inside.

80/20 ground chuck, don't add more than 1 egg per 2 pounds of meat or else it will not hold shape on the grates well. Here's my basic recipe if you would like to kinda check yours against it as a guide of any sort.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork or pork sausage
1/2 medium red onion
1/2 bell pepper
1 stalk celery (diced)
1 jalapeno (diced)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 to 2 tbsp yo favorite rub
1 egg
1/2 cup crackers (crushed)

Mix together all ingredients except egg and crackers until well mixed. Then mix in the egg and crackers. Form into a loaf shape and chill to help set the form.
Place on smoker and cook to 160 internal and let rest before slicing.
Apply glaze of equal parts Pepper Jelly and your favorite Mustard Sauce during last half hour of cooking.

Before_BBQ.jpg

After_BBQ.jpg

Finished_BBQ.jpg

[/FONT]

I agree with Bigabyte about the egg.
The last time I made meatloaf, I oven dried some rye bread, spun it in the food processor to make bread crumbs and added that to my loaf. I really liked the flavor it gave it.

If you like tomatoes in your meatloaf, try Rotel, which is chopped tomatoes with jalapeno. There are generic equivalents, too. Adds a little heat.

I always start mine out (30 minutes or so) in stainless steel loaf pans to firm up the meat. Then I carefully remove them (lots of liquid in the pan) and place directly on the grate and take them to 160*.

Thanks for the replies.

Bigabyte, that looks awesome. Thanks a lot.

Try wrapping the meatloaf with a bacon weave too.
That's tasty!
Also as a binding agent you can use uncooked Quaker oats.

hugh must have read my mind! i was planning on making one of these tonight :biggrin: now it's official though! i think i'm going to give your recipe a shot bigbyte but going with a good ol' ketchup squiggle across the top. oh yea i use stove top as my binding agent, gives a little extra flavor and it hold together pretty well.

Stove Top? That's a good idea. Never thought of that before. With the seasoning I suppose?

yup seasoning and all... one of mom's secrets but i guess not anymore haha

I just used the wifes meatloaf recipe and added Billy Bones Triple Cherry rub on top. Hers is very tasty and smoked is better!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC03405.jpg
    DSC03405.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC03408.jpg
    DSC03408.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC03415_2.jpg
    DSC03415_2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 169
what kind of a basket do you have that meatloaf in?? i've never seen anything like it but it looks like it is perfect for stuff like this.

Yeah, what he said. That basket is interesting.

I do the chuck thing, 15% to 20% fat, that recipe Bigabyte posted looks good to me.

ahhhhh that it does thanks. parchment paper will have to do for tonight :biggrin:

Instead of the basket, I shape the meatloaf using loaf pan then flip it out onto a piece of Parchment paper. I trim the paper to about 1/4" bigger then the meatloaf.

My recipe is 1# Ground Beef, 1# Ground Sausage (hot or Sage), 1 package Liptons Onion Soup Mix (dry), 1 cup BBQ Sauce, Bread Crumbs, 2 eggs & my spice rub mix.

Smoke at 220* for about 4 hours.

Back