When you are on time and they are not

The Drill Sargent

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So a VERY common occurrence in catering is when you are on time with the food, and the party is not. (Wedding goes late, bride gets cold feet, guests held up in traffic, etc) We incurred this last weekend at "The Ranch", not an easy place to cook at in the first place let alone holding food for almost 2 hours after they were supposed to eat. The Mother of the bride wants more pictures, Appetizers ran out an hour ago, guests are starving, other vendors are grumbling about charging extra for the delay. We have learned to roll with the flow, and keep in constant contact with the wedding/party planner, but How have YOU handled these types of situations?

These are some pics from the event

Attachments

• Ranch 09.11.10 001.jpg
    Ranch 09.11.10 001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Ranch 09.11.10 004.jpg
    Ranch 09.11.10 004.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Ranch 09.11.10 012.jpg
    Ranch 09.11.10 012.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Ranch 09.11.10 022.jpg
    Ranch 09.11.10 022.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Ranch 09.11.10 023.jpg
    Ranch 09.11.10 023.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Ranch 09.11.10 035.jpg
    Ranch 09.11.10 035.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Ranch 09.11.10 040.jpg
    Ranch 09.11.10 040.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 180
We typically just roll with it. 2 hrs is pushing it though. I've had them run up to 1/2 hr late, but 2 hrs is crazy. Did they offer to compensate?

They're paying the bill, so I gently remind that we charge more starting 2 hours after scheduled service until we leave and that food quality suffers with delays......

They're paying the bill, so I gently remind that we charge more starting 2 hours after scheduled service until we leave and that food quality suffers with delays......

It's in our contract - Amount of service time allocated, and overtime charges that will apply. Also very direct discussions on expectations for the day

Nice pics, you Steph and the rest of his crew put on a good show. 2hr delays are a lot to handle especially with tri-tip getting cold and overcooked in the cambro

Great looking food! I think you did the rite thing. For us the contract spells it all out the start time and what the fees are for us being there late. I have only ran into it once when they where almost an hour late. If its just me I let it go but if I have staff with me I charge em. That time I suggested the Dj ect ate, thus putting them in a better mood and taking a little of there time up so they didn't realize so much time was passing, getting them off the planners back. After 2 I might have suggested to let the guests start to eat, and done so slowly to keep them there for the bride.

Just saw your post Cap(t). Yea it does cut down on the boss' profit. :doh:
As Cliff says, I have learned to go for a walk and cool down. It is very hard to talk about billing with the bride or groom during the event :drama:, especially if there is no coordinator. I need to start sending this a bill post the reception. Other types of events are no problem!

Back