What is a "Rookie" ????

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Heres something to spark some lively debate.

I am now on the KCBS Research and Development committee, so here is a chance for us(The Brethren) to speak up and have input into some KCBS projects.

One of the projects is an award for 'Rookie of the Year'. Now, with that in mind, lets have some input on how this can be done. What are the gotcha's, what are the possibilities.. This is input I will compile and bring to the committee meeting.

So to start with some thoughts,

Who would qualify?
How can it be verified/policed?

Here are some scenarios to start with.

1 - A brand new pitboss comes out of the backyard, been coookig for years....and now competes in his first ever event(and wins).. Yup, He/she IS a rookie.

2 - Someone who has participated on a team for 2-3 years. A handful of events per year, (lets say 3-4). He starts his own team and competes on his own for the first time.. Is HE/SHE a rookie?

3 - Someone who has competed ONCE on a team to try it, got bit by the bug and started his own team.. is he a rookie?

-->> Insert more scenarios onto discussion..

Now.. how is this policed? How do we make sure someone who has been on a team for years and has done 50 contests, does NOT qualify as a rookie, or sign up as one.. What, if any checks and balances can you think up that we can use. ??

so.. heres our first challenge.... Lets Discuss..:wink:

I think this will be VERY difficult to prove (that someone is a rookie) and is succeptible to some real issues (did they really do the cooking, method, etc) especially if money or prizes are involved.

You almost need a new team membership number beyond individual membership numbers that must be used to signup for a contest, tracked, and given a time limit to be considered a rookie.

I would say a first year team with a first year headcook would be a rookie team.

If you cooked on another team for years but were never the head cook, when you start your own team with a new team name, you are a rookie team.

Example: Poobah, Militant Squatter and Sledneck compete together for years as BBQ-Brethren.com. Sledneck decides to start a team called Ash Holes Forever and he gets Poobah and Militant Squatter to cook with him. That is a rookie team for that year.

oh my a Rookie could be someone that has cooked for years and never won nothing! There are some out there. This is one tough question.

I like the number thing, but now what about a cbj starting a team, they would have a low number but a new team.

what a can of worms.

If no one on your team was ever the head cook of another team in the past.
I would say three events in a season and you qualify towards "rookie team of the year"
Your team can only be a rookie team team once. (meaning, if you cook 1 event a year for three years, then in the 4th year you cook three events... that 4th year is your rookie season. Similar to needing a minimum at bats in pro baseball)

What is the question? Are we talking about a Rookie Head Cook or a Rookie Team?

It makes quite a difference.

I believe that only Head Cooks should be eligible for Rookie of the Year, and not a Team. Teams come and go and often change names and members. But a person is the same person all the time.

The first year a person enters a competition and is the official "Head Cook" should mark his/her Rookie year. Maybe there should be a minimum number of competitions as the Head Cook (maybe 3) in a calendar year to be considered their Rookie year.

You can only have one Rookie year in your lifetime.

It should make no difference how many different teams he/she was the Head Cook for during their Rookie year. Remember, teams do not get Rookie of the Year.

Examples:
TexEx is head cook at 2 comps for 2 different teams in 2007. He has a great year and wins GC at both comps. But TexEx would not qualify as a Rookie that year because he did not enter 3 or more comps as head cook. He can still look forward to Rookie status next year.

-- or --

TexEx is head cook at 8 comps for 4 different teams in 2008. He doesn't do as well as last year and takes one 10th in ribs. TexEx would qualify as a Rookie that year.
That would be his one and only year as a Rookie. He would never have another year as a Rookie.

Just my opinion...
Ray

I believe this is very hard to police. Thom will tell you that this became a nightmare with CBBQA. I believe that they are eliminating this after '08. Maybe it was just the format. It wasn't important to me, but I believe having a ROY got some new teams motivated to compete more often and brought more backyard teams into the fray.

What are the standards for a contest to be eligble for ROY? Does it matter if there was ten teams or fifty at a comp?

This is for Rookie of the Year, NOT Rookie Team, so yes TexEx, its the head cook.

the standards for eligibility area also being discussed.. we're looking for input.. and how the scoring will happen,e tc.. This is ground floor idea and were looking to work out some options.

Well, Untill I win the Jack, AR, And MIM All in the same year....I am still a rookie:lol:

I have done 5 events total, Teamed up with a couple of different teams, and have placed a couple of times. I still consider myself a rookie. I don't know when the magical transformation happens. I have recieved some calls and gotten some very flattering compliments from some of the Big Hitters in our area. So I guess I could not be considered a newbie. But I think a person needs to get the first GC to be taken out of the realm of Rookie.

So anybody got any "super double secret squirrel" stuff they want to share?.............:-D:-D:-D:-D

The question I have is what if i have only cooked 1 KCBS event but have cooked 20 IBCA would I still qualify? I think there should be a min and max number of KCBS events to qualify.

I would think that a 'rookie' would be someone who never cooked competitively, regardless of sanctioning body.

I would think that a 'rookie' would be someone who never cooked competitively, regardless of sanctioning body.
Would that include somebody like myself? Ihave never competed in a sanctioned event. However I have cooked in dozens of non-sanctioned events that use KCBS rules and regs.

This is for Rookie of the Year, NOT Rookie Team, so yes TexEx, its the head cook.

the standards for eligibility area also being discussed.. we're looking for input.. and how the scoring will happen,e tc.. This is ground floor idea and were looking to work out some options.

I don't like the fact that head cook would only be acknowledged and not the team as a whole.

Teams win, not head cooks..

Let's face it, the application only calls for one head cook name as to who the check is made out to or who to call. That minimizes the work of the other members of the team whom in some cases may share all responsibility equally when they are under the tent.

If KCBS calls out TOY as established, then it should e Rookie Team.

They don't just acknowledge the head cook (at least that's not what I think happens).

If is a KCBS award, it has to be for a new "team" to KCBS...

Kind of like the way a Japanese baseball player can be a star in Japan league and then come to play in the US major leagues and be considered a rookie.

Still, I think it's a nice concept overall, but will be difficult to regulate.

Vinny, but then, Joe Bagodoughnuts, who has never cooked competitively can form a team, and sign them up as rookie team. But.. on that team is Johnny Trig, Mike Davis, and Ray Lampe.. is that a Rookie team because the head cook is a rookie?

I think this particular award is for a Rookie Head cook,, but i will confirm that with Linda. Maybe its for a rookie team, but then I would think NO ONE on the team could ever have cooked competitively.

First - after you define "who" the rookies are.... what would make one a rookie of the year. Total points? Total GC's? # of top 3 calls? Here is why I ask.... you might have a new team of professionals that get together just to cook the Royal, and score a serious amount of points... and win. then you have another new team that cooked 17 contests, with 6 RGCs, 2 GCs, etc..... If the points were the same, who wins?

The reason I ask... you may have lots of guys that cook 1 or 2 in year one.... a couple more in year 2.... but once thier feet are wet with that first call, jump in, and in year 3 cook 15 contests and do well.... do they get to be a rookie? This sure does look like something that will always start arguments LOL

As per the wisdom and input from all above, I believe a rookie is a rookie until he or she cooks their first "sanctioned" event, in this case KCBS.
Now, whether that is "head cook" or member of a team needs to be defined.
I'm thinking head cook would be a criteria for the determining factor.
Also does one contest count or would a few, like 3 or so be the qualifier.?
that would need to be determined, at least one for sure.
Net net, once you cook for real, all four categories, turned in and judged, whether 1, 2, 3 contests or whatever, no matter under which team name, you would no longer have "rookie" status.
Just throwin' out dos centavos to ante into the pot.

I believe this is very hard to police.

My research yielded the opposite

TheRookies.jpg

We cooked in half a contest in 2006 and a full contest in 2007. We got two calls in our 2007 contest. I still think of myself as a rookie. Actually, I consider myself one of the "little" guys.

I am a member of the Iowa BBQ Society and at the last meeting we had a discussion about how to award an Iowa TOY. Durinig the discussion it came up that it was extremely difficult to determine which teams were from in-state, how they finished, how many contests they entered, etc. I think the idea of ROY is an interesting one, but it seems it would be very difficult to track and administer.

It might be more intersting to "flight" the teams, something similar to a best shot golf outing. Rank all the teams on the average of their aggregate scores based on the number of events they entered. You might break the groups into a) less than 3 contests, b) more than three less than 7, c) more than 7 less than 12, d) more than 12. You could consider any team that enters less than 3 contests a year as rookies.

Rambling over. Thanks. :-D

Back