geo is that a 55 gallon barrel or a 30 gal.? The angle of the pic makes it seem small.

Thank you for the advice. I think I will try it this weekend. The bird was good but the skin was very leathery... Methinks you are on to something. Thank you!

No, thank you for posting. Birds are cheap, but they can also be delicious. The faster they cook, the better the results IMO of course.

I love chix skin, so I'm biased..

Question here: I ended up with a very large charcoal basket 17'' across 6'' high, should I fill the whole damn thing up (20#) and let it die out when I'm done?

I have a removable lid and was going to poke exhaust holes instead of making a stack. Will my coals burn out if I have no way to cover the exhaust holes?

Question here: I ended up with a very large charcoal basket 17'' across 6'' high, should I fill the whole damn thing up (20#) and let it die out when I'm done?

I have a removable lid and was going to poke exhaust holes instead of making a stack. Will my coals burn out if I have no way to cover the exhaust holes?

No harm in using a full basket if you light up with the minion method for a slow burn and control your heat with the vents early. Yes, you'll want to cover or close exhaust holes if you want your fuel to extinguish... a sheet (or maybe several sheets) of magnetic strip might just plug your vent holes if you haven't installed nipples you can cap, or whatnot.

Hook 'em Horns!!! ;-)

2uhyhyta.jpg

Yes and yes. Put as much coal in as you like- you can snuff em out when you're done cooking. However you will need to cover your exhaust vents to snuff out the fire. I personally have a 2" stack on mine with threads so I can use a pipe cap, but I've seen some folks use pipe plugs to close the holes in their lids. Either way you gotta do somthin to cover the vents as`well as close the intake to stop the burn.

IMHO this depends on what type of charcoal you use. Some say the Briq's are like a sponge, and will draw moisture, but lump can be re-used. So in the case of briq I would suggest, and will practice myself from now on trying to either load just enough for the run, and or let it burn out in it's own. I HAVE noticed reusing briq before I read they draw moisture that a basket containing re-used briq acted a little "weird"

I'll differ from the others, I have never had a way to close the vents in my lid, and either lump or briq smother just fine if I just close all the air intakes.

Last edited:
I shut mine down when I'm done cooking...I leave the leftover briq's in the basket and re-use them. Smoking right now, there was about 5lbs or so leftover from my last smoke 2 or 3 weeks ago).

I shut mine down when I'm done cooking...I leave the leftover briq's in the basket and re-use them. Smoking right now, there was about 5lbs or so leftover from my last smoke 2 or 3 weeks ago).

it may depend on where we all live too, and the weather, but when I say it acted weird, if I had to describe it, it actually acted like the UDS was just running on what I dumped in to start it, until the heat dried the briq out that were left in there ?? The temp really dropped off, and I had to shake the basket (by thumping the uds and it's cart) to get the fuel load to light off.

Bill

Before starting up the UDS for the first time. Do I need to remove this rubber ring from the inside grip of the lid? It is technically on the outside of the drum once the lid is in place.

photobucket-70561-1348417245664_zpsf057e51c.jpg

That is one epic thread...with a ton of information! I started about 2 weeks ago and have acquired my Weber grill and have almost completed the coal basket. Have to locate a drum yet. Plan on building the UDS to the Norco/KISS specifications and will post pics of my build. The people who adhere to the Norco/KISS specs seem to have the most success. That's not to say that mods are bad, but you must understand how these work to make mods that work. I intend to build a temp controller with a fan mod myself to help with overnight cooks. I HIGHLY recommend that people read the thread...there are many excellent UDS's here that are worth looking at! Thanks to everyone for contributing to this and making it a great source of information!

Was just browsing through the homedepot website and found something that non-welder types can use to connect the charcoal basket rims to their base:

02b8f416-0aff-4f15-864c-accef6c70b36_300.jpg

(The one pictured aboved is zinc coated but you get the idea.)

Or maybe get a smaller chain and weave it through the expanded metal, this way you will have a handle as well?

FINALLY my smoker build

Hoping to score a kettle off of CL for cheap, and future mods would be handles, table and wheels. But, on the first seasoning run, held 225-250 for 6 hours on a windy day until I shut it down. Having trouble loading pics however

For anybody in the OKC area, the Edmond Academy store has 12" thermometers on sale for $3.99, regularly $14.99. I thought it was a mistake at first, as they weren't marked as being on sale on the shelf, but it rang up correctly as a 12" thermo.

May or may not apply to all Academy stores.

With the credit we already had at Academy, I was able to pick up a hinged 22.5" Weber grate and a 12" thermo for a total of $3.8X, making my total UDS investment so far only $35 ($30 used unlined drum + today's purchase). Still need hardware (including nipples (tee-hee)), a charcoal grate, and expanded metal, though. Not a totally fair estimate considering we, at one time, gave money to Academy in order to have a credit there, but don't harsh my buzz, man.

Back