Orange wood

Jorge

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Had to trim a tree at my Mom's home. Dad always called it his 'Juice orange tree'. No idea which variety it really is. The general rule on trees producing fruits and nuts would indicate it should be OK. On the other hand the wood sure does feel kind of spongy.

Any personal experience?

Pee on it first and do a test burn. Thnen I can test the peecan.....unless it is lost. :wink:

BTW Snake died first day. Imagine that. :twisted:

Hey Jorge: About your orange tree; Orange wood can seem almost soft sometimes when you cut it, because it is so full of sap. If it is a real orange tree(or any citrus tree) is is a hardwood, and very good for bbq. One caution though, if you are not used to using it. Make sure you cut it into the size you need for use in your pit while it is green. As it dries and seasons, it will get so hard you can break saw teeth on it. No joke. :shock:
Citrus wood does make good, sweet smoke. We use grove trimmings here in Fla. a lot.

qman

Re: RE: Orange wood

brdbbq said:
Pee on it first and do a test burn. Thnen I can test the peecan.....unless it is lost. :wink:

BTW Snake died first day. Imagine that. :twisted:

Oooops 8)

Re: RE: Orange wood

qman said:
Hey Jorge: About your orange tree; Orange wood can seem almost soft sometimes when you cut it, because it is so full of sap. If it is a real orange tree(or any citrus tree) is is a hardwood, and very good for bbq. One caution though, if you are not used to using it. Make sure you cut it into the size you need for use in your pit while it is green. As it dries and seasons, it will get so hard you can break saw teeth on it. No joke. :shock:
Citrus wood does make good, sweet smoke. We use grove trimmings here in Fla. a lot.

qman

Thanks for the info. I'll let it dry out and try it in the kettle.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Orange wood

brdbbq said:
try it in the kettle.

What Kettle ?

The one the neighbors just donated the other day, moving mod. Still gotta scrub it out to get rid of all the crud in there, and hopefully rid it of lighter fluid fumes.....

Back