Anyone doing high-direct ribs at comps?

The Virginian

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This evening I started exploring the world of bbq'ing directly (but high) over the coals, for ribs. The rack was one of the best I have ever cooked. Took forever (I kept the temp around 215 most of the time to avoid burning the rack), but worth the wait.

Any of you brethren doing high direct for ribs at contests? How about the rest of the categories? I know the method has a long history in bbq for briskets and whole hog, but I rarely see anyone outside of a few UDS acicionados taking this approach in competition.

Brett

I have used what you describe above for my chicken. It should work for ribs too - but that seems like it would take forever as you say - but I'm all for anything that improves my stuff as long as it's permitted . . . Good question!

I’m not sure what you feel is new there. UDS, trash cans, WSMs all are used in comps. If I’m reading your question correctly, you’re describing a vertical smoker????

Nearly all vertical smokers (including WSMs) use a pan to separate the fire frome the meat. One can take out the pan or other barrier (Eggs use plate setters, for example), but I do not know anyone who actually uses them that way for competition, and was hoping to get a sense of who does and what there experience is. UDS smokers are designed for high direct, but even there I do not know how many use UDS smokers for all four categories (ribs may be particularly tricky in this regard). I think there is a reason that most competitors do not cook high direct having to do with temperature control, the increased chance of having a grease fire, etc. If people have figured out how to cook high direct in competions while avoiding these problems, I just want to know what they are doing.

Bret

Not addressing the direct heat (which I think works fine but guys go to fair efforts to
make certain there's no burning of the bark), but to talk about the high heat you
were referencing. The main key to great ribs is to render all the fat and leave only the
moist/tender meat. I dont think the high heat will render the fat properly, IMHO.

Did ribs on the Ranch Kettle
Smoked with fire to one side then
added a little fuel and went direct for the finish
nice caramelized sauce

Not addressing the direct heat (which I think works fine but guys go to fair efforts to
make certain there's no burning of the bark), but to talk about the high heat you
were referencing. The main key to great ribs is to render all the fat and leave only the
moist/tender meat. I dont think the high heat will render the fat properly, IMHO.

You didn't read his post... High refers to height, not heat.
He kept his pit temp around 215°

In the contests I have witnessed, folks cooking ribs on santa maria style grills (which I gather is the sort of thing you are referring to) don't tend to do as well as guys with smokers. A UDS would be similar as well, and I would imagine they fair a better.

My neighbor cooks his ribs on a santa maria style grill in his backyard. Hot and fast...cooked in about 45 mins. Fully cooked, but never "done". I like his grill, but not his barbeque.

I have had eggs since 2003. I have never owned a plate setter. Ribs turn out great.

I'm a one man show, so I don't drag eggs to comps...

we have 3 eggs mounted on our trailer {large}do our ribs on them,use plate setters,235degrees,3 sides per egg

Rendezvous method (Memphis Style Dry Ribs)

325 degrees @ 18" over the coals - Direct Heat - on my WSM
Takes around an hour or so for a rack of babybacks

Goooood ribs.

Back