• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First (but not last) Tamales

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I smoked a pork shoulder last week, and Big Al smoked a chicken on Monday while he was off and I have been wanting to try my hand at Tamales... so I did!

I gathered the ingredients.
IMG_1454.jpg

Yes... lard... I can feel my heart...slow...as I type...
This is the recipe I used -

IMG_1457.jpg

I simmered the chicken in a green chili sauce
IMG_1446.jpg

And the pork in a red chili sauce

IMG_1449.jpg

I watched this video to see how to actually put them together
Then I watched this one

With that informaiton under my belt sallied forth to make the tamales.
I mixed up the dough - had to do it by hand since I couldn't find my mixer...
Then started putting the tamales together. I think I did OK.
IMG_1459.jpg

Into the steamer basket...

IMG_1461.jpg

One magical hour later...

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

They were pretty tasty. Big Al said they were better then the ones we get at our local mexican place. I will be making them again. I next time I think I will put more spices in the masa besides salt.

Those look great, L-M! i was going to make tamales while I was off over the holidays and never did it :rolleyes:

wow those look soo good, I love a good tamale. hard to find very good ones, even in texas!

Brad bbq dallas

Tamales are a beautiful thing and it looks like you hit it. Those look perfect. :-D

You nailed them from the looks of it. Very nice from a tamale journeyman.

Thanks guys.
Char - I think I like the chicken better - Al likes the pork better. Both are winners though.

Good job! tamales are like sex, even when they are bad, they are still pretty good. I have never had a tamale i didn't like.

next time instead of the lard, go to a mexican market and get a tub of Manteca de peurco.
It will add so much more flavor!

wow those look soo good, I love a good tamale. hard to find very good ones, even in texas!

Brad bbq dallas

I like to think i have a pretty awesome recipe down.
Next time i make some, i can get you a sample. Maybe we can make figure out how to mix them into your catering business.

Those are some great looking tamales! Nice job, you've inspired me to give it a try, thanks!

Wow! That looks awesome!

I'm REAL picky about tamales. A friend's Mom and her sisters, aunts, cousins, etc. all get together before Chistmas and make big batches of tamales for the holidays. They are so good I seldom try others because I'm always disappointed.

Mrs. Conteras makes my whole year when I get a dozen green chicken and a dozen sweet dessert tamales for Christmas.

They look fine.....but it's hard to be sure. Please send me a dozen of each, then
I can make a proper decision as to whether they actually are good or not...:wink:

They look great. The wife and I have thought about making a batch the last few years over the holidays, but have not done so yet. Seeing them may get us in gear!

I would say if you are on the fence about doing these jump over and do it. I was a little hesitant because I heard they were hard to do. It probably helped that I had the meat already cooked and just needed to simmer it in the sauce. The hardest part for me was putting the masa on the husks... the place we usually get them from uses a lot of masa... I wanted less and pretty much got it.
We just finished up the last of the Tamales for breakfast. Fried up a couple of eggs and reheated the tamales... yum... one question... is it wrong to have eggs with chicken Tamales? My taste buds say NO!

Looks great and tasty. I have always wanted to try my hand at making tamales but never got up the courage, you are motivating me to give it a try. Thanks for posting.

Back