yield question

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
If you were planning on one self serve sandwich per person how many people would you expect to be able to feed with 17 lbs of raw pork butt?

Figure 50% yield after cooking, so 8.5 lbs of cooked meat. At 1/4 lbs per serving that would be 34 servings. If you want 1/3 lb servings, then it is 25 servings.

Figure 50% yield after cooking, so 8.5 lbs of cooked meat. At 1/4 lbs per serving that would be 34 servings. If you want 1/3 lb servings, then it is 25 servings.

If you're going self-serve, then plan on at LEAST 1/3# servings. I'd give yourself a little more cushion and say 20 servings out of 17# raw butt.

But I'm not a caterer nor do I play one on TV. It's just been my observation that people will generally take more than what is considered a serving if they do it themselves.

1. "Who" are you feeding?
Serving amounts: Seconds and <gasp> thirds are more likely with the local teenage (or young adult) crowd as compared with a ladies auxiliary.

2. Self-serve you say?
Free food... you'll be surprised how much some folks help themselves to.

3. Bun size? Plate size?
Actually makes a difference. Mileage may vary.

4. Sides?
More sides equal less product (bbq) off the buffet Always position high price-point item (bbq) last on the buffet.

5. The as purchased amount compared to the cooked yield as stated above is a pretty good yard stick I'd say.

My experience was that in a mixed crowd with ONE entree (pork butt) the serving yield was 2 - 2.25 servings per pound as purchased with three sides.

this is just for a family reunion thingamajigger. I am trying to plan for 30 people so I will bust out another cryopac and see how it does. Always ok to have left overs!

this is just for a family reunion thingamajigger. I am trying to plan for 30 people so I will bust out another cryopac and see how it does. Always ok to have left overs!

I just did a graduation party for 30. Cooked 20lbs raw. Had lots of extras cold cuts, cheese, fruit, desert. Only had a little leftover. I even bought slightly smaller buns.

I buy the small square dinner rolls for pulled pork sliders (about 3" square) and plan 6 people per pound of cooked meat. Usually works out pretty good. Women and girls will have one or no bun while men and teenage boys will scarf 2-6.

Back