Venison?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy Brethren.

I was given a kind gift of several venison tenderloins. Have no idea what to do with them. Could the brethren help me out?:confused:

I have at my disposal a UDS, Weber kettle with rotisserie doohickey, and the UDT (plus other indoor contraptions - crock pot, Dutch oven, etc).

Thanks!

well first off, venison is really very lean, and if not used to gamey flavor can be a lil offputting, i love it slow and low... i have never had it smoked just ovened overnight and junk, but i spose dependin on how big ya could wrap in bacon and treat it like a really smally brisket....i dunno, im just blowin smoke, or cube it up use the dutch oven and turn it into stew, or chili,

You have insider tenderloins which are small, and you have the outside baskstraps which are larger, but a lot of people refer to them as "tenderloins." If I had a backstrap I would marinate it whole for a day in allegro and a little italian. buttefly it and stuff with bell pepper and onion. fold back over and wrap in bacon. smoke/grill until done, you want to eat no more than medium rare. For a real treat smear some room temp cream cheese on the top at the end and finish. Slice with sharp knife into medallions and serve. Can guarantee you there will be absolutely no complaints if you do not overcook.... Another option for the backstrap is to cut into medallions upfront, marinate for 1 or 2 hours in Moore's NOT Dales and then wrap with 1 slice jalapeno, little swiss and 1/2 piece bacon.... If I had the inside tenderloin, I would marinate it in whatever I like for maybe 4 hrs, but would not get out the jalapeno/cheese/bacon and grill to medium rare... Off course if you wrap the inside in bacon or whatever it will be great, and that maybe what you want to do if serving to women or friends who don't want any type of game taste...

I am assuming it's backstrap and not tenderloin. I would cut the silverskin off and and cut into 3/8 " slices and flour and fry. Yum. You could also slice thicker and grill. I would not do a low and slow, it's LEAN. For me, I do not over cook, leaving a bit of pink. As far as a gamey flavor, I say BS. Don't mask it. Just my .02

Very kind gift indeed

Hard to beat it dredged in a flour and egg wash then fried in hot oil, seasoned with garlic salt,season salt and pepper...carefull not to over cook... That is how I usually cook my backstraps..

Here's another way I cook venison...

Venison Kabobs
3 lbs venison
2 White Onions
2 Bell peppers
1 Pkg. Bacon
Pineapple Chunks (Optional)
Italian Dressing
Garlic salt
Season salt
Pepper
Skewers

You will want to use good cuts of venison for this recipe.. I either use the Back straps or the nice clean large muscles in the rear quarters.
Make sure to remove all fat and silver strand from meat (One reason I like to butcher my own game).

Cut venison into chunks about 2" and 1" thick then place into a bowl and ad the Italian dressing mix it up then cover with
plastic wrap and into the fridge. Let marinate at least 4 hrs but no more than overnight.

Cut bacon in half and set aside
Cut Onions and Bell peppers (and optional pineapple) into chunks into same size as meat.
Drain marinade from meat and wrap each cube with bacon then thread onto Skewer, alternating with pieces of meat and the vegetable's and optional pineapple.
Season loaded skewers with the garlic salt,season salt and pepper
Place onto a medium heat grill until med. rare...DO NOT OVERCOOK. It is very easy to overcook venison because of it's high protein
content...It will continue to cook after you remove it from the heat until it cools down. It is safer to lean on the rare side because of this

This meal is excellent and goes great with home made pilaf

HPIM0173.jpg

Smoke that backstrap whole. I shot a small deer last year - so I folded the backstrap in half, rubbed, and wrapped in a bacon weave.

Serve with a fine wine and end the evening with a great Cuban cigar.

Verify internal temp with a superfast RED Thermapen and pull when nice and rare.

29838_391761976988_581721988_4171894_251139_n.jpg

29838_391761981988_581721988_4171895_3968186_n.jpg

If you have the smaller inner tenderloins - cut into 1/4" thick medallions, pound thin.

Cut the pounded meat into strips about the width of a slice of bacon. Take a bacon slice, arrange a couple strips of venison on the bacon (leave last inch or two of bacon uncovered), add chopped poblano pepper and maybe finely diced onion, some Bobine Bold or your favorite rub and some parm cheese.

Roll into pinwheels towards the 'bare' end of the bacon and secure with a skewer. Smoke pinwheels for 45 -60 mins until done.

WOW!:clap2:

Thank you so much everyone. The many ideas/recipes for fried/kebabed/pinwheeled/smoked venison all sound delicious. I have enough that I may be able to try a few of these recipes.

I searched cooksillustrated.com for recipes and they had none... zero... zilch. I've come to think they are a bunch of Yankee know-it-alls anyways.

Thanks again!

Smoke that backstrap whole. I shot a small deer last year - so I folded the backstrap in half, rubbed, and wrapped in a bacon weave.

Serve with a fine wine and end the evening with a great Cuban cigar.

Verify internal temp with a superfast RED Thermapen and pull when nice and rare.

29838_391761976988_581721988_4171894_251139_n.jpg

29838_391761981988_581721988_4171895_3968186_n.jpg

Umm, aren't you a little young for wine and cigars?

One of my favorite ways to cook backstrap is to cut it into 2" pieces. Marinate in apple cider (NOT APPLE CIDER VINEGAR) for 3 plus hours...then pat dry and continue the marination with your favorite sauce for 3 plus hours....then wrap all that sloppiness in bacon with a toothpick (like a MOINK) and sear at high heat. I do mine on the bubba keg! Wonderful eatin!!!!

We've always had rave reviews when doing a venison chili. For the meat, drain all
the blood from it, wash it, drain and drain again. Then cut off any fat. Between these
the gamey flavor should be gone. You can cut the meat into small chunks; we put
it then (after removed all fat) through a grinder using a chili grind (about as big around
as my wife's pinky finger). There's not enough fat in this, so we use a little lard or
vegetable oil when browning the meat and vegetables (if not doing a CASI chili).

It'll taste similar to beef, only a little better.

We've always had rave reviews when doing a venison chili. For the meat, drain all
the blood from it, wash it, drain and drain again. Then cut off any fat. Between these
the gamey flavor should be gone. You can cut the meat into small chunks; we put
it then (after removed all fat) through a grinder using a chili grind (about as big around
as my wife's pinky finger). There's not enough fat in this, so we use a little lard or
vegetable oil when browning the meat and vegetables (if not doing a CASI chili).

It'll taste similar to beef, only a little better.

Thanks for the info. Could I hit you up for your chili recipe?

Also, I've been told that squeezing some lemon juice on to the meat and letting it sit for a few minutes gets rid of the gamey flavor?Any truth to this?

For open chili (kind most of us eat, if'n we ain't Texans) I'm not consistent on the
amounts, but pretty much follow this guideline:

Usually about 5lbs of meat (either chuck roast that I've removed most fat, or venison)
3 LARGE onions, but sometimes 3 or more
2 bell peppers
1 or 2 jalepenos
a tablespoon or 2 of finely chopped garlic

I use multiples and combinations of chili powders, from Tones to Gephardts, to others
that you'll find a Mild Bill's or Penderey's (ala. Fort Worth Light, etc).

Cajun Seasoning - sometimes Tones, sometimes Tony's, sometimes others. Watch
the salt here.

2 large cans of tomato sauce. Again, watch salt here. I use Wallyworlds; lower salt.
For comps I'll mix Contadina and Wally's.

A little oil in the pot (a little more for exta-low-fat meat, ala. venison), ground meat
and vegetables (using onions, bell pepper, and some finely chopped jalepeno, garlic).
Season with a little chili powder and a little cajun seasoning. Brown lightly.

Add in the 2 cans of tomato sauce. Bring up the temps (right at a light boil) without
scalding. Then first main dump of seasonings. Lots of chili powders. I also add in
a little chipotle (I like a little smokey flavor in my chili), some spanish and hungarian
paprika, ground red jalepeno, and usually some ground ancho if I have it. Small
amount of cumin and ground mexican oregano here. I also tend to add a little
chicken and beef bouillon here (depends on how much beer I've had). If I'm working
with less garlic and onion I'll also add some powdered onion and/or garlic here. Also,
a small amount of cayenne here. It's already got some fairly spicy/hot spices above.
Oh, forgot, a little black pepper, and a tiny amount of white pepper here too. This
will give a little pepper bite initially, middle way, and a little burn after each bite.

Stir all that in and then bring the temperature down and let it simmer for about an
hour.

Bring temp back up, add in 3+- large cans of Bush's Chili Hot Beans. Another dump
of seasonings (see above), but this time a little more oregano and cumin as compared
to earlier. Probably no more red jalepeno. 1/2 bottle of beer here. I prefer XX's in
my chili. Bring to slow boil. Watch beans, they may want to stick to the bottom.

Reduce heat, simmer for another hour.

That's it. About 3 hours total time. My chili is usually medium hot. For the folks
that enjoy a milder chili, they dont care for mine. For the folks that prefer a little
hotter chili, I may add a little more cayenne in the 2nd seasoning dump.
That'll bring up
the heat fast.

Also, we dont marinade, etc. More than anything else I hate the gamey taste, so
we just focus on removing all the blood and all the fat. In chili above, if you like
the flavor and heat of a serrano pepper, float one in the 2nd spice drop. It'll have
an hour to work its way in. They're a little over the top for me, especially with all
the other peppers we have in our chili.

Also, we dont marinade, etc. More than anything else I hate the gamey taste, so
we just focus on removing all the blood and all the fat. In chili above, if you like
the flavor and heat of a serrano pepper, float one in the 2nd spice drop. It'll have
an hour to work its way in. They're a little over the top for me, especially with all
the other peppers we have in our chili.

Thanks! I'll try one or more of these recipes these weekends, and your chili definitely sounds like it would be worthwhile... give me an excuse to bust out the CI dutch oven too.

Back