First Brisket

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

What is an RF Cooker?

I also believe in K.I.S.S

I cook on a Kamado Joe, and here it is.

I get the temp stable at 260f +/-
rub brisket with salt/pepper sometimes I add a little garlic powder
put brisket on ( I only cook whole packers )
I dont wrap
At 195 IT I start checking for "probe tender" I just pick that temp as a starting point. Dont cook by the IT of the meat.
Once probe tender, I take off wrap in foil, add some worcestershire sauce, a little water, and put in a cooler for about an hour. Maybe 1/2 cup of liquid is added before wrapping.
I have liked every one of the briskets, and my family has as well.

I did a coffee rub once. It was good, but not the same, so I havent done it again.

injection butchers prime and rub Obieque Garlic o Pepper and Harleys NO MSG Orginal

Attachments

• b43.jpg
    b43.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 258
  • b41.jpg
    b41.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 258
BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Dumb question - does this change if you cook on a Weber?

Dumb question - does this change if you cook on a Weber?
Not a dumb question and the answer is no, I have done several Briskets following Bludawg's method on a WSM, get your temps in the 300 range and you're good, mine have taken a little bit longer before they are ready to pull usually around 6 1/2 hours give or take.

I will be trying this method. Smoked a packer last weekend that I wasn't too happy with. The point was fantastic but the flat was not tender at all. I am pretty new to brisket so I am learning.

Can I assume that one should be more concerned with the flat probing like butter more so than the point? If the flat is good, the point should be as well, correct?

If you are cooking on a Gateway, you have to at least read the White Rabbit!
http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/the-white-rabbit/
Here is a packer I did last weekend. After taking it out of the cryovac, it wasn't too stellar looking, but it turned out awesome. Temp stayed between 300-325 and it was done in 4 hours.
7ggr12S.jpg

Can anyone shed light on IF the higher cooking temps 275-325 VS lower / slower 200-250 will affect smoke flavor??

Beef seems to be harder to get smoke into and I love a heavy smoke flavor. What say you?

Can anyone shed light on IF the higher cooking temps 275-325 VS lower / slower 200-250 will affect smoke flavor??

Beef seems to be harder to get smoke into and I love a heavy smoke flavor. What say you?
On drum smokers, I don't personally think it's an issue. You get a nice flavor from the fat/smoke.

Back