Whole Lamb (lots of pron)

jaxbbq

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Cooked a whole lamb today. Not very happy with the results. Never have liked lamb but hoped that it would improve on the smoker.

Ready to Stuff - wild rice mix, onion, poblano peppers and black beans.
P1091935.jpg

P1091936.jpg

Stuffed and tied shut
P1091938.jpg

Rubbed with fresh garlic, rosemary, kosher salt, black pepper. The yellow is from Penzey Bicentennial rub.
P1091939.jpg

Into the cooker befor the crack of dawn.
P1091940.jpg

P1091941.jpg

Temp probe inserted into the center of the stuffing thinking that that would the best place to check. Two problems 1. Walleyworld probe not acurate. 2. Because the ribs are so thin stuffing hotter than the meat.
Foiled at 140 (Stuffing temp)
P1091942.jpg

Pulled to rest at 183 degrees (stuffing temp)
P1091943.jpg

Removed foil after 30 minute rest.
P1091944.jpg

Checked temp with cooper probe - 140 degrees
For those that prefer rare to medium rare was perfect. Sectioned and rewrapped remainder and took to 190. Pulled like pork. (Still tasted like lamb however) :doh: Managed to make it go away. Don't think I will do another this way. Maybe Quarters. Could fit more in at one time.
P1091946.jpg

Next time this platter gets used it will be for a whole hog. Learned a lot on this cook. :thumb:
Thanks for looking.

Put it in a 0600 foiled it a 1030 started the rest at 1250. After I rewrapped it cooked 2 more hours at 300. Hope that helps

Looks good to me.
Im gonna try that with a piglet this summer after I buid my smoke trailer.

I guess that just goes to show, you can't hide meat behind smoke.

Sadly, it looks like you did a lot of work, and did it well. I bet the lamb eaters enjoyed it.

Yes, a bit confusing I have to say.

Certainly you went to a lot of effort, but lamb is lamb. It does not come out of a smoker tasting like anything else. Just wondering if you have any sliced or pulled photo's for me to look at. I really can't tell whether the cook was a success or not. The fact that you're not too keen on lamb does not mean it was a failure at all.

Cheers!

Bill

Lamb is just one of those things. When I cooked chops for work, everyone liked them. Most said it just tasted like beef. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (still chaps the old bum)

Seriously, cook it to med-rare and keep the seasoning mellow. If you do not like it then, you'll only hate it more done any other way.

Sorry to hear it was a disappointment. I've never tried a whole one, but would love to someday when I have the right cooker.

Bill - I have to admit that the cook was a success. Went from plate to belly so fast that I didn't even think to get photos that wouls tell more of the story. The leg and shoulder were not as tender as i had hoped. The garlic and rosemary added flavor but didn't over power the base taste. I had cooked lamb once prior to this experience. Did a lot of reading, I think every post on lamb on this forum and others. It just didn't taste the way I had hoped. you know how you get a taste in your mind and if it isn't there it isn't right.

Back