Who Else Can't Stand MSG?

Hang on just a cotton pickin minute.
When people ridicule on a factual scientific basis I also get a giggle.
However, I love tomato seed sauces, Parmesan, fish sauce,soy sauce and beer, but I get no symptoms after their consumption.
I get severe symptoms after eating artificial msg, and I know that because I get them when I think I haven't eaten it, but then discover I did.
This is a case of reverse rationalisation and you can bite my mono sodium glute!
:biteme:

I don't seek out MSG nor have I ever bought it as a seasoning. But it's in Johnsonville Bratwurst and, as a Sheboygan WI native, I've been eating it a couple times a month since birth without issue.

People are sensitive to different things, so I'm not one to judge in others. But it's never been a problem for me.

Never used it, don't like the taste, makes me feel bloated, leaves a metalic taste, ask specifically that it NOT be used when going out for asian food....

It's not good for ya.... "common sense rule" as stated above.

RMR

My sweetie can not ingest MSG without almost instantaneous lower gastro intestinal massive non-solid total evacuation.........
We avoid at all costs.
Ed

I've never notice any bad effects from eating it other than taste. If I run across a recipe that calls for it I leave it out. As for fried rice etc I didnt know it was used for those things. I guess if its used in moderation its okay for me. I just don't want it to be noticeable.

You guys better never judge a BBQ comp because the use of MSG is rampant. Check just about any comp guys rub and you will see it. MSG - Makes Stuff Gooder.

Hang on just a cotton pickin minute.
When people ridicule on a factual scientific basis I also get a giggle.
However, I love tomato seed sauces, Parmesan, fish sauce,soy sauce and beer, but I get no symptoms after their consumption.
I get severe symptoms after eating artificial msg, and I know that because I get them when I think I haven't eaten it, but then discover I did.
This is a case of reverse rationalisation and you can bite my mono sodium glute!
:biteme:

If you can eat those foods without a problem, then I would suggest you have no problems with MSG, but with some additive or impurity in the concentrated MSG that you buy. I would suggest that maybe you try a different producer, but don't blame the MSG.

MSG is about as unnatural as salt. I do know a number of people who have allergic reactions to any food item that has more than three syllables. I had a good friend tell me, "I can eat salt just fine, but sodium chloride makes me break out into a rash." :laugh:

"It's not good for ya." Um, I'm no expert, but I like to check my facts, especially when I'm being fed something regularly (there is no avoiding it):
From Wikipedia: "A report from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) compiled in 1995 on behalf of the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concluded that MSG is safe when "eaten at customary levels" and although there seems to be a subgroup of apparently healthy individuals that respond with the MSG symptom complex when exposed to 3 g of MSG in the absence of food, causality by MSG has not been established because the list of MSG Symptom complex was based on testimonial reports. This report also indicates that there is no data to support the role of glutamate in chronic and debilitating illnesses. A controlled double-blind multicenter clinical trial failed to demonstrate the relationship between MSG symptom complex and the consumption of MSG in individuals that believed to react adversely against MSG. No statistical association has been demonstrated, there were few responses and they were inconsistent. Symptoms were not observed when MSG was given with food."

That's good enough for me.

I dont seek things out with MSG, but it doesn't bother me when there is MSG in things. Also I keep some MSG in my pantry. Growing up when we made fried rice (filipino fried rice) we would put some MSG in it and it added more flavor, and whenever I do make fried rice now, I always add a little msg into it.

"It's not good for ya." Um, I'm no expert, but I like to check my facts, especially when I'm being fed something regularly (there is no avoiding it):
From Wikipedia: "A report from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) compiled in 1995 on behalf of the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concluded that MSG is safe when "eaten at customary levels" and although there seems to be a subgroup of apparently healthy individuals that respond with the MSG symptom complex when exposed to 3 g of MSG in the absence of food, causality by MSG has not been established because the list of MSG Symptom complex was based on testimonial reports. This report also indicates that there is no data to support the role of glutamate in chronic and debilitating illnesses. A controlled double-blind multicenter clinical trial failed to demonstrate the relationship between MSG symptom complex and the consumption of MSG in individuals that believed to react adversely against MSG. No statistical association has been demonstrated, there were few responses and they were inconsistent. Symptoms were not observed when MSG was given with food."

That's good enough for me.

Sadly though, in our society today, "testimonial reports" get way more media time and exposure than controlled, double-blinded trials. Why muddle up "the truth" with facts, right?

And, of course, Plowboy's Yardbird contains MSG. Or it did originally. And I absolutely love that rub, one of my favorites. BTW I put that rub on ribs at large group feeds several years in a row (over 100 people each time) and never saw any signs of adverse effects.

I have family in Southern California where they seem to be completely insane about food. So I do try to be tolerant. But they go on these anti-this and anti-that fads that really seem frankly silly to me. I unashamedly eat bacon and eggs, for example. Despite the fact that eggs are supposed to blow up your cholesterol and nitrite from bacon is supposed to give you cancer.

And I invariably add some drops of a sauce containing MSG when I make Vietnamese sandwiches (banh mi, YUM). And without them they simply aren't the same.

seattlepitboss

msg bothers me.. I didn't know it until recently.
After feeling "funny" and getting headaches every time I eat at my favorite Chinese restaurant, I did some experimenting to see what was causing the problem.
Turned out to be the msg. :sad:

I still eat there but not very often.

There are a few in my family allergic to MSG (gives em nasty headaches) so I use fish sauce instead. Works awesome@!

You guys better never judge a BBQ comp because the use of MSG is rampant. Check just about any comp guys rub and you will see it. MSG - Makes Stuff Gooder.

My point exactly Ray.. and it seems you are on top of this. When trying to win a comp, you gotta use some MSG to match the flavour profile that the judges expect. But... if you're cooking at home, or for friends and family, you'll do your own thing and it will very likely be much better.

To me, regardless of whether MSG causes adverse reactions with people, it remains an identifyable ingredient that is largely artifical and tastes that way.

If I taste it anywhere I go, it lets me know that they are taking shortcuts and not using the best of ingredients. MSG is a shorcut to getting some flavour that cooking time, fresh ingredients, attention to detail, will always beat.

Cheers!

Bill

i_love_msg_tshirt.jpg

Back