Kettle modifications?

• Thread starter Capt. Rough Chop
  • Start date
C

Capt. Rough Chop

Until I find the search button, I have a question: What kind of modifications are people doing to their kettle grills?

I was thinking it would be nice to put a tiny burner in my weber 22 for convenience and to stop all the "why don't you get a gas grill?" questions.

I'm with you Capt. A side burner for the Weber would be great.
I was thinking of just getting one of those electric burners, since I have electricy right where I grill.

Tom

Some of us are doing this to our Smokey Joe Platinums...

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

Click for slide show...

Tel-tru makes quality temp guages.

The search feature is on the second blue line, just under the KCBS option.

I did a similar mod as JD did. Thermo I used was a Tel-Tru BQ250.

Best kettle mod: Frankenweber
I agree!
Frankenweber is ugly, even in person.
But S&B did an excellent backyard engineering job with it, and it is really cool.

The only mods I have done to my kettles is to add a second charcoal grate on top of the original, turned 90 dgrees and bolted together. Prevents chunks of charcoal from falling through.

Best kettle mod: Frankenweber

I agree!
Frankenweber is ugly, even in person.
But S&B did an excellent backyard engineering job with it, and it is really cool.

Thanks gents. Means a lot that you say that. Here is the latest photo after adding a hook for the cast iron pan and a rack for the tank mount....

IMG_0943.JPG

I have one charcoal grate that I attached firebricks to so it gets the grate higher for doing searing cooks. It improved my steaks/chops/burgers off the kettle immensely.

Anybody got a list of the parts for the mods? I need to call and order a couple of new legs for my WSM and figured I'd get them also to save on shipping

Thanks gents. Means a lot that you say that. Here is the latest photo after adding a hook for the cast iron pan and a rack for the tank mount....

View attachment 17112

That is pretty awesome :eek:.

I usually cook steaks on the Weber but in my cast-iron skillet. My kitchen doesn't have a vent so it can get smoky in there. I would really love an outdoor kitchen.

Who wouldn't want an outdoor kitchen. I finally had my wife give up the indoor kitchen, the backyard island is probably pushing it, but if the 'cue is right you never know.

I am personally anti-gas when it comes to BBQ. Mind you, this is my own opinion here, but I have never experienced BBQ or grilling done with gas that has anywhere near the flavor of a good wood, or charcoal fired equivalent...

I have been spending WAY too much time sketching up plans for a proper BBQ cart that has a riser section for the kettle, and a mount for a tank and propane burner. I have so far not come up with a design I want to build... I am basically trying to whip up a rolling outdoor kitchen, and haven't come up with anything that works right...

Thermometer through the lid is a good mod. Not sure how accurate it is, but it has got to be better than nothing...

I'm on my 2nd kettle so far. First one lasted from 1992 until 2005 when it met with an unfortunate incident with a canoe...

View attachment 17112
Wait wait wait whooooooo hang on. Am I correct in thinking you posted the beer can mod for the Weber several months ago? I have been looking for that thread like no other!!!
:help:

Back