How to properly place chunks in BGE?

woox

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
So I am smoking my first brisket overnight tonight, and I was always confused on how to properly place my wood chunks around the BGE and keep clean and non-overpowering smoke on my meat?

Do I just put like 5 chunks in a circle around the circumfrence in my BGE? Do I put them in the middle? Do I put them away from middle?

I want to use Oak/Cherry wood, should I use 3 oak, 2 cherry?

Should I be adding more wood chunks throughout the entire cook?

(This is for a 10lb brisket)

I use 4-5 chunks smaller than my fist. I mix a couple in with the lump as I fill the Egg and then have 2-3 near the top, one of them near the middle. Then I light the fire in the middle and that one chunk will burn first.

For brisket I would use more oak than cherry.

I don't add more since the ones that are buried will burn later in the cook.

I place my wood chunks like N8man does in his drum smoker tutorial. In the firebox, I do a thin later of lump, then 3 small chunks, one at 12, 4, and 8 o'clock. Then another layer of lump, then 3 more chunks, one at 2, 6, and 10 o'clock. Then another final thin layer of lump, and that has work VERY well for me. I keep the chunks around half fist size, and the smoke flavor is always good, not too strong and not too light.

I light a small fire in the middle, and wait for the cooker Kamado to come up to the temp and the smoke to turn to TBS, usually about and hour to hour and a half. When the fire is clean and the cooker's temp is stable, the food goes on.

Back