• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to cook lots of Baked Beans

Dayum...I'm sorry I missed out on all the fun.:lol::lol::lol: Here's a killer bean recipe for you...getting back on subject...:twisted:

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own.
icon_smile.gif
This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Enjoy! :biggrin:

CAUTION! - I've tried the original Apple Baked Beans recipe! 1 can of apple pie filling was way too much for me! All I could taste were the apples. Cut the recipe to 1/2 can of apples and add more if that's your taste.

When I had my BBQ joint I didn't have time to make beans from scratch. So I would buy #10 cans of Winn-Dixie original beans, then drain them. Dump into a large bowl, add my own BBQ sauce, pulled pork, onion powder, granulated garlic, a little chili powder. Mix gently so as not to turn to mush. Always got great reviews.

Oh, and I also used (please don't shoot me :icon_shy) a little liquid smoke.:eek:

Seriously, people really liked 'em!

Can't we all just get along and bake some beans (out of a can of course)

Leftover Brisket chopped and put into the Beans sure makes em smile

fresh garlic,jalapenos and dijon mustard added to the usual ingredients [bbq sauce, brown sugar, oninon, green and/or red pepper] can really take beans to a whole new level. Smoking them is the best way to grab accolades.

One thing I can do is cook, there is no question about that. Actually, probably better than you!!!!! Work smarter not harder. I know you make all of your sauces and rubs for competition too.

How did I miss this thread? Thank you barbefunkoramaque for having it in your signature. Sometimes a good laugh makes a bad day so much better.

I personally doctor the hell out of a can of beans but someday I will master a homemade recipe so I don't have to.

I don't cook professionally, and I'm not trying to restart any drama, but to me, doctoring beans from a can makes about as much sense as doctoring a double cheeseburger from McDonalds.

But if I were cooking for a living, I would have to consider the cost and effiency, so who knows. But when it's for me and friends, it's quality.

Anchorman Thank You for your recipe.
I used it for my sons wedding and made a double batch and they were all
gone at the end of the reception.
I have that one on my fridge for future use.

Just for fun here is my pictures of the good cop and the bad cop.
Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• goodcop.jpg
    goodcop.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 395
  • badcop.jpg
    badcop.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 394
Anchorman Thank You for your recipe.
I used it for my sons wedding and made a double batch and they were all
gone at the end of the reception.
I have that one on my fridge for future use.

Just for fun here is my pictures of the good cop and the bad cop.
Hope you enjoy.

Your Welcome!:-D

I don't cook professionally, and I'm not trying to restart any drama, but to me, doctoring beans from a can makes about as much sense as doctoring a double cheeseburger from McDonalds.

But if I were cooking for a living, I would have to consider the cost and effiency, so who knows. But when it's for me and friends, it's quality.

Personally I think you CAN put lipstick on a can of beans...

Dave

Wow. Didn't see this thread before. I use bushes with black beans, peaches, raisins, pulled pork, bacon onions and seasonings like mustard, etc. Is it worth it. Yup. I can sell out of beans and when catering I always hear about how good the beans are. Not much work and low cost and a big plus for business. Of course YMMV depending on the quality of the beans. Serve a can of beans and they may not come back.

Thanks for the recipes. Where I live (rural Philippines), we're lucky to get beans, period. We can get Bush's in little boxes (yes, boxes!). #10 cans? HAH! Dream on!

So, the only good option is to make from scratch.

This is my first post on "The BBQ Brethren" and am happy to have found this pressing issue. All that means is take this for what it's worth:

Just don't do it!! No need to bake beans, when you can make "Killer Beans" that taste better and are just cooked in a pot. The taste improves with time, though the texture softens somewhat.

Ingredients:

[FONT=&quot]¼ lb Bacon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 lb Hamburger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Cup Chopped Onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Cup Brown Sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ Cup Catsup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Large Can Pork & Beans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp Vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Tbsp Mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Can Green Baby Lima Beans or 1 Bag Frozen Baby Lima Beans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Can Kidney Beans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt & Pepper To Taste[/FONT]

Directions:

[FONT=&quot]Cook bacon until crisp. Crumble and set aside on a paper towel to drain. Brown hamburger and drain on a paper towel. Put all ingredients in a large pot and mix well (a crockpot works great). If you are going to make five gallons, make sure you got a real strong helper to stir that much, as it gets pretty thick. Cook slowly for one hour or until onions are soft and clear.[/FONT]

I seldom measure ingredients. I add brown sugar until I like the size of the pile in the pot. More is better. I squeeze the catsup bottle until just before it is empty and put it back in the fridge. This drives my wife nuts. I squeeze the mustard bottle until my hand gets tired. The point is this will basically come out the same regardless of how much of anything you use (within limits, of course) except for the vinegar. I suggest you not necessarily measure it, just don't stub your toe cause this can make the final batch pretty tart. I also consider the lima beans essential. I have had a number of people tell me how much they hate limas, but love the beans so much they are re-thinking their likes and dislikes.

These beans are awesome. The above recipe makes about a gallon + or -, so just adjust it to suit the size of your pot. I have not tried to keep a pot hot all day like you would do in a cafe, so you may need to experiment with how long the beans will stand up to the extended cooking. The best part is the flavor, but the second best part is the recipe is very insensitive to ingredient measurements.

Hope this helps.

The Original Bad Bill
San Antonio, Texas

Thanks for the recipe Bad Bill, I make my beans similar to yours using burger as well.
Just a different type of beans and I use a lot of onions.

Back