is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
At horse shows I'm using

"Ribs 9
comes with a side
Sandwich 5
2 dollar sides!"

Do you have one you'd like to share?

I've never heard any BBQ vendors who were good at what they do having time to have a call/jingle/cry to get business.... they're usually too busy working & serving.

At horse shows I'm using

"Ribs 9
comes with a side
Sandwich 5
2 dollar sides!"

Do you have one you'd like to share?

you're vending horse shows in your freshman year in highschool?

that is VERY impressive.

how many ribs for 9?

Well, I purchase the packs of spare ribs. Typically I get them for $2.50-3 a piece, and they're probably five ribs per, but there's a bit of fat and they don't end up as too much food, so I call it a hearty lunch with the side. Baste them with a generic Honey BBQ sauce mixed with 1 cup of OJ, 1/2 a cup of cider vinegar, some cayenne, and tons of black pepper. Done in 4-5 hours.

I just did my first horse show, and I'm goin' into soph. year. Bell Mt. BBQ is off the ground. This first one was kind of off the books, but I'm looking to do stuff more legit and possibly go legal soon. This winter I'll see whenever school doesn't interfere.

And I need to lure business away from the other vendor. You want a rib plate for $9 or a burger and fries for $6 at the other place? May take a catchy tune.

Well, I purchase the packs of spare ribs. Typically I get them for $2.50-3 a piece, and they're probably five ribs per, but there's a bit of fat and they don't end up as too much food, so I call it a hearty lunch with the side. Baste them with a generic Honey BBQ sauce mixed with 1 cup of OJ, 1/2 a cup of cider vinegar, some cayenne, and tons of black pepper. Done in 4-5 hours.

I just did my first horse show, and I'm goin' into soph. year. Bell Mt. BBQ is off the ground. This first one was kind of off the books, but I'm looking to do stuff more legit and possibly go legal soon. This winter I'll see whenever school doesn't interfere.

And I need to lure business away from the other vendor. You want a rib plate for $9 or a burger and fries for $6 at the other place? May take a catchy tune.

No one here is going to encourage a vendor who may "possibly go legal" . If you don't have local permits, Safety Serve certification, and most importantly insurance you're not legal and should NOT be vending.....

I can only imagine that you also don't have proper sanitation, water supply, food storage etc.

Do things the right way or don't do them...

No one here is going to encourage a vendor who may "possibly go legal" . If you don't have local permits, Safety Serve certification, and most importantly insurance you're not legal and should NOT be vending.....

I can only imagine that you also don't have proper sanitation, water supply, food storage etc.

Do things the right way or don't do them...

This might sound harsh, but it is a very sensible, and kind comment. Vending while "not legal" can ruin you long term - and can kill people (if you don't know food safety) and is not fair to vendors who do it right.

Talk to your local Health Dept and find out what you need to do in that area. You don't have to have a tax ID, etc., but remember, by law, ALL INCOME is to be reported to the IRS.

As far as a call, not to be a smart arse, but I let the aroma of the meat on the smoker act as my call/jingle, etc.

Let me just get answer.

1. I've been in contact with the Health Department through this whole time, before I informally sold last weekend. He is firmly against BBQ and wants me to sell burgers and hotdogs. I've offered to buy heating chambers, and I've offered to keep the meat on the smoker until an order is taken, but he's not having it. He's a nice guy, just thinks it's risky for some reason. (I've avoided mentioning age) Next township?

2. This is sold at a private horse show.

3. I had a hose and soap next to my stand and formal handwash facilities thirty feet away.

4. I got there early in the morning at 6 with the meat frozen; salted and peppered, and onto the smoker. Sauce gets added there later. When an order comes in, I either pull some ribs off and put them on a plate with a side stored in the cooler or on the grill, or I cut a piece of the pork off, chop it a little more finely, and a squirt of K.C. style or N.C. style based on the customer's preference.

All I can say is stop right now and get food safety education! You evidently have none. Why would you question a health department officer? Be glad no one has become ill yet. Are you serious?Why you can't hold on a smoker? Do your possible customers a favor and listen to what is said. Do not play with people's safety. No insurance? Get some of that too. Be legal or don't mess with it. Normally I wouldn't sound so harsh, but when you say a HD official says to sell burgers and dogs, not want chafers, and is old, that's over the top. Wow. Steve.

Let me just get answer.

1. I've been in contact with the Health Department through this whole time, before I informally sold last weekend. He is firmly against BBQ and wants me to sell burgers and hotdogs. I've offered to buy heating chambers, and I've offered to keep the meat on the smoker until an order is taken, but he's not having it. He's a nice guy, just thinks it's risky for some reason. (I've avoided mentioning age) Next township?

2. This is sold at a private horse show.

3. I had a hose and soap next to my stand and formal handwash facilities thirty feet away.

4. I got there early in the morning at 6 with the meat frozen; salted and peppered, and onto the smoker. Sauce gets added there later. When an order comes in, I either pull some ribs off and put them on a plate with a side stored in the cooler or on the grill, or I cut a piece of the pork off, chop it a little more finely, and a squirt of K.C. style or N.C. style based on the customer's preference.

1 - Stay in school
2 - Get a Food Safety certification
3 - Don't go any further until you've learned the proper way to vend and cater, have insurance, and most importantly - Take it seriously.

FYI - In many states, Parents and/or Legal Guardians are responsible for offenses committed by their children (Under 18). Talk to your Parents nd make sure you don't cause them any problems inadvertently. Good luck.

I applaud your get up and go. But there is a right way. Get legal. Feed the Crowd the right way. Customers are trusting you. Have you every had a good case of food poisoning ? You don't want that . Some people die. Work a little harder, get the details right and go for the$$$

Back