• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Guys - I am looking for some details on the intake pipe nipples. How long should they be? 1" long close nipples? Do they need to be stainless? I am not sure what they have over at home deeps, but i doubt its stainless...

Since i am not welding, just to make sure i got this right....I can thread in the 3/4" pipe nipple and on the inside i can lock it down with a conduit nut and same on the outside? I doubt the threading of the ball valve will thread all the way down to the barrel.

Thanks all,
JD

Garth57 has one I pass it daily and many times smoke is a rollin! I started one and never finished.
IMG_3115.jpg

Garth57 has one I pass it daily and many times smoke is a rollin! I started one and never finished.
IMG_3115.jpg

It just dont get any simpler than that... add in a thermometer and a ladder and you are set. The cool thing is you still got a complete Weber if you wanted to.

I am working on mine like that, its going to be a bit shorter and a little Cooler... of course

It just dont get any simpler than that... add in a thermometer and a ladder and you are set. The cool thing is you still got a complete Weber if you wanted to.

I am working on mine like that, its going to be a bit shorter and a little Cooler... of course

Norco, dude why would you build a smoker that is 5 feet taller than you? Whaddayou gonna stand on to get your meat out of that? Big ladder?

I guess you missed the important detail "I started one and never finished". Guess i need to learn the real deffinition of "Cool":cool:

I know I am going to take a beating about these pictures,but here it goes. I know they are supposed to be ugly,OK so I got a little carried away. Though Im sure there are some football fans on here that think the LSU UDS is plenty ugly. I would like to thank everyone for all their post and help on the UDS. I have never smoked meat so easy and so good in my life. Now let the comments start!!
Thanks, la smoker
Very cool drums brother.

I'm afraid you are going to need more exhaust though and some sort of method to control the intakes, chrome or highly polish a brass a ball valve for each intake perhaps? You could use a chrome exhaust tip in the 2" bung on the lid then leave the other exhaust you have closed and call it a 'Knucklehead' UDS. Remember you need more out than in for the UDS to work properly.

I guess you missed the important detail "I started one and never finished". Guess i need to learn the real deffinition of "Cool":cool:

HINT... legs are shortened and center support is scaled down...Do you remember my questions in my PM to you about sealing the drum to the kettle? It worked Slicker than Goose Grease...Pron to follow when completed and painted, hopefully this weekend

The main advantage to this is that you are using the whole weber instead of making another firepit out of the basin... as well as doing away with nipples and a ball valve... Oh Ya... its now self cleaning

Very cool drums brother.

I'm afraid you are going to need more exhaust though and some sort of method to control the intakes, chrome or highly polish a brass a ball valve for each intake perhaps? You could use a chrome exhaust tip in the 2" bung on the lid then leave the other exhaust you have closed and call it a 'Knucklehead' UDS. Remember you need more out than in for the UDS to work properly.

Thanks for the tips, you cant see it but I have 1 3/4 ball valve on the back fitting. I have did 10 to 15 cooks she holds good at 225 for 10 to 12 hrs with one bottom plug out and about 1/2 on the ball valve. thanks again. la smoker

Thanks for the tips, you cant see it but I have 1 3/4 ball valve on the back fitting. I have did 10 to 15 cooks she holds good at 225 for 10 to 12 hrs with one bottom plug out and about 1/2 on the ball valve. thanks again. la smoker
Cool, lets see some of the dead animal that comes off of them. :cool:
\
Are your reading 225 on those gauges you have installed? What are you using lump or charcoal?

We love to see seasoned smokers and food pron.:-D

Cool, lets see some of the dead animal that comes off of them. :cool:
\
Are your reading 225 on those gauges you have installed? What are you using lump or charcoal?

We love to see seasoned smokers and food pron.:-D
200 on guage on smoker 225 to 230 on digital inside middle of smoker using charcoal starting a few coals in middle with flame thrower. thanks

Well built another drum, basic drum with flat lid, but I had a charcoal basket made like the one that JDER30 did except I added an ashpan to the bottom so I just lift the frame out, pull the ashpan out and dump. So clean up is easy like the drum I built with no bottom so I could lift it off for cleanup, but should be airtight where that one was not. Got a lever-lock ring just to help keep it airtight.

Also just for fun to have things flush on the outside I used a stainless T-nut with a steel spacer, locknut and nut on 1.25" stainless bolts for the grate bolts.

Was thinking about the bottom like Jaranimo, but this looked easier to build.

Just finished the lid so the only seasoned so far, gonna do moink balls for a Super Bowl party on Sunday. Pron to come.

Attachments

• SG102231.jpg
    SG102231.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,461
  • SG102237.jpg
    SG102237.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,456
  • SG102242.jpg
    SG102242.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,459
  • SG102243.jpg
    SG102243.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,459
  • SG102248.jpg
    SG102248.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,459
  • DSC03374.jpg
    DSC03374.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,452
I stinkin love it!!!!!!!!
Looks like the idea of the tall baskets is starting to take hold. :cool: If you ever want to use a pan or defuser it makes the perfect place/stand for em.

HINT... legs are shortened and center support is scaled down...Do you remember my questions in my PM to you about sealing the drum to the kettle? It worked Slicker than Goose Grease...Pron to follow when completed and painted, hopefully this weekend

The main advantage to this is that you are using the whole weber instead of making another firepit out of the basin... as well as doing away with nipples and a ball valve... Oh Ya... its now self cleaning

Can you please share the method used to seal the drum to the kettle, I have an extra and think I would like to try that. Thanks
Dave

Can you please share the method used to seal the drum to the kettle, I have an extra and think I would like to try that. Thanks
Dave

I wish I had taken pics...

First I made 2 cuts in my drum, one at the high point of the rib, all the way around and a second about 2 inches down from that, making a ring.

then I cut the ring and put it inside the barrel upside down, so it forms a channel against the remaining half of the rib. I cut the ring to fit and butt weld it back together. The ring is then tacked inside the barrel and 1/2" stove gasket is glued inside.

This is as far as I have gotten.. Im not sure how tight I will have to secure the drum to the kettle.. if at all. I will probably do a test on it on Saturday... if all goes good I will do a big fattie on it while the Steelers kick ass on Sunday

Well FARK... Ungrateful Bastage!.. How else are you gonna learn to make a drum? If ya dont want to read it all... make yer own! Or go buy one online from BDS... no one said you HAD to read it.... Just DO IT, you will be way ahead of the curve if you do... I was in the same state of mind and was glad I read it.

This thread is like the AA Big Book.. no prize except the one you have earned for yourself!

Jerry, I like the paint job on the new UDS. How did you do that? Sponge?

I like the flush t-nuts. Good idea. I have been welding everything. Gotta play with the toys when I can.

I have been busy the last few weeks and today is my first chance to do my test run on my drum. I found some 5/8 stove door gasket (rope) and adhesive for about 8 bucks and but it in place of the silicone seal on the drum. With the clamp on it appears to hold pretty good and I think the bottom drum will seal nicely to the top drum.

Its coming up to temp as I type. I have a fatty and a pork tenderloin that are going on it shortly. Pics to follow....

Back