• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Independence, IA Brew B Que - Cancelled

B

Buster Dog BBQ

For those of you who competed or judged in the Brew B Que in Independence, IA in September, that contest has been cancelled. I have learned that on Saturday, August 29 they will have the beer tasting and some BBQ vending for a peoples choice.

This was a great contest with a Friday night chefs pot luck and beer sampling of over 100 beers during and after awards.

If you're looking for a contest to replace this with, I suggest BBQ in the Park in LaPorte City July 18th and 19th or Waucoma on July 31. Nice park settings and same general vicinity.

Here is a link to Iowa contest http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?str=ia&fromDate=01/01/09&toDate=12/31/09&x=28&y=18

Not listed on there is Ducks Unlimited which is July 11th and I think that is still on, Dubuque is still on as far as I know, that is Labor Day weekend, and Ottumwa has a contest the 11th.

Well of course if you are lookihg for a contest in September their is non better that River City Round Up in Omaha. Last weekend in Sept. Their is going to be some great things announced once it is all put into place. But think about it.

Well of course if you are lookihg for a contest in September their is non better that River City Round Up in Omaha. Last weekend in Sept. Their is going to be some great things announced once it is all put into place. But think about it.

So you two are in for another year?

Rod--The Ankeny DU contest is a blast. First solo contest for me last year. Will always be near and dear to my chubby heart.

If you're looking for a contest to replace this with, I suggest BBQ in the Park in LaPorte City July 18th and 19th or Waucoma on July 31. Nice park settings and same general vicinity.

Good calls on each of those, both of those locations have Boondoggle family within walking distance - we'll be at both. And both have plenty of shade from nice size trees.

The LaPorte comp is a Saturday/Sunday as it follows Waterloo's Friday/Saturday comp - so a good handful of teams caravan down the road and pull in Saturday evening (last years list included Lotta Bull, Pellet Envy, IA Smokey D's, Ponderosa, Boy and his BBQ, Buster Dog ... and I'm sure I've left out some others). Last year this comp drew a lot of action and support from the locals - until the skys opened up. But even with a quick inch of rain or so, the ground held up well (and this was less then a month after the entire town was under water from a flood).

Waucoma also draws a nice crowd from the locals. This one is set in a camp ground - easy access to electricity. It has a unique energy to it as one of the local businesses enters a handful of teams - and they kind of have a competition within the competition among themselves. Then it's common for teams to stick around on Saturday night for some fun before going home on Sunday.

I know someone who will be there.

%21cid_image001_jpg@01C9339A%20%5BWordpress%5D.jpg

Independence will be missed. I was looking forward to hitting that one this year. :cry:
Guess we'll need to plan a Omaha trip.

It figures the one comp I decided to do last year went belly up. It was in my experience from judging almost all Iowa contests the best one in the state.
We're still going to cook one contest and it pry will be either Waterloo or Waucoma.
I'm not nuts about cooking on a city street (Waterloo) but the side dish and dessert catagories have peaked my interest. Wacouma is in the city park and is usually around 25 teams and alot of good freindly people.
I offered my help for the CBJ certification class in March at Waterloo and hope to have some of my questions answered about Waterloo.
See ya somewhere this summer.
ModelMaker

damn...thats 2 down already for 2009 on my schedule. Both in September, any thoughts on the september Wisconsin comps? Maybe do one of those plus Omaha??

Racine runs a nice comp in late Sep, but I don't see it listed on the KCBS site yet.

Back