• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Fuel?

What type of UDS fuel do you use?

• Briqs

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Lump

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Mix

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Crüe-B-Cüe

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone runs. I typically can only fing Kingsford here. It produces so much ash that I have to kick the UDS about every 2 hours to keep it going.

I switched to Kingsford in my UDS and have no ash problem. I've burned 18 hours straight and not once did the ash become an issue.

I switched to Kingsford in my UDS and have no ash problem. I've burned 18 hours straight and not once did the ash become an issue.
Wyatt has an #8 flat on his now for 3 hrs and ash is never a problem with K.

I use briqs with wood chunks mixed in. I prefer Rancher but I'm out, so I'm using WM brand. I haven't used Kingsford since they changed the formula.

I have never tried briqs. I have used Royal Oak lump since I got my drum. Never had any issues. Have to shake the drum once in a great while, but can usually burn 13+ hours on 8 pounds consistently.

I've been trying a bunch of different lump's and they all seem about the same. I mix lump and wood chunks in my basket and then dump lit briquettes on the top. I would just dump lit lump on top, but all the lump I get has so many little pieces that it falls thru my chimney:roll:

I tried Royal Oak lump w/wood chunks on the first two cooks on the UDS and had massive temp control issues. Switched to Kingsford with wood chunks and the temps stabilized and worked fantastic.

I used Rancher with no ash issues. Just in case ash becomes an problem in the future I will be using Kingsford ( since I'm down to 80 bags of Rancher). :sad:

I was using Kingsford up till few weeks ago. I am now running rancher for a while. Will probly switch back to kingsford after the rancher is gone:icon_bigsmil

I have only used K so far, no ash problems. I want to try lump but am worried about temp control and that it would be hotter and burn the wood chunks faster.

I have used Kingsford, Rancher and B&B Oak Lump in my drum and never had temperature or ash problems with them.

Rancher.........but only have 1 bag left and using it tomorrow, from what you guys say, will have to try the Kingsford.:mrgreen:

Yes, i will agree the Rancher makes some good ash but are you guys saying the other brands dont? :confused:

I tried Rancher once but it was way too ashy (I know Brian...I know). I use Kingsford brigs now and am happy with the results as well as how it burns.:p

Far less ash with K in the drum on my end. I prefer to use lump in my small charcoal ring , I don't know why, it just works for me!

Back