Ham anyone?....

Brewmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
These are two 25lb raw hams that I bought already cured from Double G Hams in Pacific, MO. I will post some pics as we go. Happy Thanksgiving!!

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

How were they cured? Those bad boys look awsome in the smoker right now. May try to sneak in on the actual feast to sample that. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

This is the top ham after 4 hours.
IMG_1279.jpg

This is both hams after I rotated them.

IMG_1280.jpg

More to come.

After 7 hours. Still looking for more color. Added more water.

IMG_1282.jpg

Rotated again.

IMG_1283.jpg

That looks great! Whats the brine for a ham? What kind of wood is that?

They were brined when I bought them. They said they were brined with a "sweet brine". The wood is pecan. This is were I bought them. It is just down the road from work. They typically only sell to distributors.

http://doublegham.com/

145 degrees. My target is going to be 155. Then I will wrap and cooler.

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

I have never seen an uncooked ham before. Those are looking great. I need to start going to the butcher shop instead of the grocery store.

The color isn't running as dark as we thought, especially with pecan. I always thought pecan darkens faster than most wood for some reason. Maybe nothing to it, just me thinking again. Not a lot of difference in the last two hours.
I think you can take them all the way without wrapping. What do you think?

You know...I sure lost a lot of sleep for someone cooking with a FEC:mad:.:biggrin:

They were brined when I bought them. They said they were brined with a "sweet brine". The wood is pecan. This is were I bought them. It is just down the road from work. They typically only sell to distributors.

http://doublegham.com/
I buy their sliced sandwich ham. It's good ham. Not a Burgers....but it is good ham Burger's Smokehouse in California, Mo.
H2215-200-1.jpg

The color isn't running as dark as we thought, especially with pecan. I always thought pecan darkens faster than most wood for some reason. Maybe nothing to it, just me thinking again. Not a lot of difference in the last two hours.
I think you can take them all the way without wrapping. What do you think?

You know...I sure lost a lot of sleep for someone cooking with a FEC:mad:.:biggrin:

I was surprised about the color also. I think using lump helped out with the color also.

You have to stay up..........you never know when the power will go out.:lol:

One done. 5 more degrees on the other. Ok, ok, I sampled it. If you have never cooked a fresh ham, I highly recommend it. MMMMMMMM.

IMG_1288.jpg

Great job man! They look incredible.
Also, thanks for the info on curing, brining, and smoking hams, last month. With your advice my ham came out awesome! :-D
PLEASE DON'T THROW AWAY THOSE HAM BONES!!!!!!! I have a great recipe for potato and ham soup if your interested....

Back