Brisket Seasonings?

Well, I'm a little over five hours in with the brisket. So far so good (I think.) I've been keeping it right around 225-230*, with the occasional fluctuation (up to 250* and as low as 210*,) but I've tried to keep those to a minimum. I've only had a couple of spikes where it went to 250 and they lasted for around five minutes or so. Hopefully it won't mess it up to bad, but I'm honestly not expecting much out of this one. I just checked the temp and it was at about 133*, so I have a ways to go before I spray it with apple juice and wrap it with foil. I've taken a few pics and hope to have them up this evening or tomorrow.

If your lookin you ain't cookin! Sit back have a beer or three.:p

Well, I'm now fifteen hours in and I'm at 188*. It should be almost done now and then I can pop it into the cooler. I definitely opened the lid too many times today. Still, it looks pretty decent, though I'm not 100% sure what a brisket's supposed to look like at this stage. I did have one question, if there's anyone still up: would it be okay to leave it in the cooler over night, or should I take it out and put it in the fridge after it's had a chance to sit for a couple of hours? Also, what's the best way to reheat brisket? Would you guys recommend slicing it up tonight or waiting until tomorrow?

Well, I'm now fifteen hours in and I'm at 188*.

15 hrs for a 5.6 lbs flat sounds like a long time. Your smoker temp might be way too low or your temp probe could be off.
Slice it up and lets see some pics!
Great thread BTW.

Mike

Great thread. I've learned a lot about briskets, so thanks to Steez for asking.

You guys are making me want to try my hand at brisket again, since the last one wasn't all that great.

So where are the pix, Steez? We want results!

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :eek:

15 hrs for a 5.6 lbs flat sounds like a long time. Your smoker temp might be way too low or your temp probe could be off.
Slice it up and lets see some pics!
Great thread BTW.

Mike

I really agree. Wow, that thing should have been done in like 7-8 hours, even at 225. I really hope it turned out good Steeb. Remember everytime you open the lid you add 15 minutes of cooking time.

I really agree. Wow, that thing should have been done in like 7-8 hours, even at 225. I really hope it turned out good Steeb. Remember everytime you open the lid you add 15 minutes of cooking time.

I'm in Vega$ for the weekend and it was lapping at 100* yesterday. So if his pit is a sunny spot in his yard, Steeb may have gotten away with a few more peeks than I can back home. :mrgreen:

Okay, I finally had a chance to get the pics uploaded. I used imagevenue so if you click on the pic, it will take you to a full size version. Sorry about the blurriness of some of the pics. I have to be the worst picture-taker ever.

It turned out pretty good, I guess - my dad seemed to like it when I took him a plate earlier today. It could definitely be better, but it was pretty tasty. I was afraid it would be leather by the time it was done, but it was surprisingly juicy. It took way longer than it should have, but at least I learned a lot from all of my screwups yesterday. Hopefully the next one will go a lot smoother. Thanks to everyone's advice and tips. I'll definitely have to play around with the seasonings and types of wood next time.

The last time I saw a brisket thread with this much good information was.... was...was, well it I'm sure it was right here. I think all you brisketeers have covered about everything from seasoning that chunk of chest until it goes into the cooler. ............

I agree.....Roadmap Material!

When cooking cap up, has anyone else thought of removing the cap, rubbing the meat, and replacing the cap? I have been thinking about it for a while but just have not yet done it.

When cooking cap up, has anyone else thought of removing the cap, rubbing the meat, and replacing the cap? I have been thinking about it for a while but just have not yet done it.

Shoot, if you can get it off in one piece id say that would work like a charm.

Back