HELP please...TOO HOT>>>ASAP

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
TOO HOT/ Trying my modified drum/food cabinet smoker I'm Hitting 300 degrees and going,

do I open door? cover hole? Take out pork butt??

Shut the air off. 300 for a little while won't hurt anything. Just close the air intake off and it will cool down.

open the top to let the heat escape, then reduce the draw from the bottom....

the pork butt will be forgiving of the heat.....some around here cook their comp butts at 450* and get them done in like 4 hours.

Don't open the door, if the hole is at the bottom and feeds air to the fire, cover it a bit and see if that brings the temp down, don't take the butt out, you can cook them at 300 - 350 on a quick cook and it won't burn up, it may not render out quite as much fat as it would low and slow, but you will still be able to foil it after the plateaux 165 internal, and cook it on to 200 F internal if you are pulling it.

If you have it rubbed with a lot of sugar in the rub, it may darken beyond brown to black, but this is only on the outside, (the bark), and some folks like a darker bark, (myself included).

Relax, take a deep breath, all is not lost!

Definately gonna have to choke the air back on that Bad Boy...temp. drop wont be Instant either so dont panic...but with the air shut down temp. will drop.

Mahalo!

Panicing for a little while, novice here...
Do I now wait on the ribs?

Thanks again!!

Should all of my coal have burned? they are, did I put too much hot coals in my circle?

Do you have a water pan? I have one just above my coals, I don't always have to use it but sometimes when she gets to hot I put a little water in it to bring the temp inside the smoker down a bit.

TOO HOT/ Trying my modified drum/food cabinet smoker I'm Hitting 300 degrees and going,
do I open door? cover hole? Take out pork butt??

Can we see a picture of this bad boy??

Coals?

Sorry, my digital is on the blink,(you think it would survive a drop from the top of a car!)
Just think food warmer cabinet w/ a chimmney...remember I'm a novice and had no idea what I was starting, I have 2 hole for air control...literly 2 holes...no damper, I stuff it a towel to control the air, HEY it works

Can you help w/the question about the coals? :confused: should they have burned quickly or gradually?/whats the sign to add more...besides 180 degrees :p

Sorry, my digital is on the blink,(you think it would survive a drop from the top of a car!)
Just think food warmer cabinet w/ a chimmney...remember I'm a novice and had no idea what I was starting, I have 2 hole for air control...literly 2 holes...no damper, I stuff it a towel to control the air, HEY it works

Can you help w/the question about the coals? :confused: should they have burned quickly or gradually?/whats the sign to add more...besides 180 degrees :p

That would be hard to answer Brother...without knowing how much charcoal You started with and was it Lump?? To Many unknown's.I Just hope you got the temps under control. It is all a Learning Curve...the next time it will go smoother for You. Good Luck !

no, it was briquets, and I stared with a chimmney, plus a circle of about 5-7 lbs, 1 logwithin the 1st 1/2 hour they ignited, thus giving me that panic attack, by smoker is a verticle rectangle about 5 feet high, 2 feet wide, pretty big, I had temps pretty good for about 2 hours, now its going down to about 220, 3 logs, I guess I'm being stingy on the charcoal, I have 2 logs now, I want to use more log, but this wood kiawe, (mesquite) is very dry, smoky, it will flame if I open all the holes...

Definitely seems like air control is needed. Think about fire: air, temperature and fuel. Too much of either and it'll take off on you. You really have alearning curve for your own unit and consider all of this "panic" as part of that curve. 300 is not hideous. Close some air off, choking it, and you shoudl get temps dropping. As for adding fuel....if it doesn't seem to hold temp, and the air is there, you need fuel. Scott

Almost Done!!

Guys, thanks a lot for the assistance! Put in a 4# picnic, 4# butt, after all the hassels I had, it got to 185 in 4 hours, oops didn't watch it, I foiled now and leaving it, the ribs will be foiled soon also its almost pulling from the bone,
I'm slowly getting the hang of my temps.
I really wish my camera was working, the pork looked great!

Thanks!

JUst let us know how it tasted Brother....that is the real test !!Next time will be easier too.....just keep on keepin on !!

Proud Smoker...

Well for a novice, It was great! The pulled pork was awesome, used Kc's sauce, and had a great sandwich, the ribs were a little smoke, I don't know its because it was on the the top? I had no complaints, Chicken for my non meat eating friend was tender, I used the same rub, I need to find different rubs for different meats, ANY IDEAS?
I really wish I had my camera working, the biggest compliment was from my friend who born and raised in North Carolina, 2 plates of BBQ! He said he couldn't tell the difference in what he had back home, BUT I'll take that with agrain of salt...or I'll gett a much bigger head! Ha!

Using this smoker I realized that you can't be stingy on charcoal, I used about 10lbs for about 7 hours (my butts were 4# er's) is this good?, am I loosing heat somewhere? I used maybe 5-6 logs of mesquite.

Back