Mixed results weekend with some p0rn

akoda

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I had a busy weekend some success in BBQ and some failures but I eat my mistakes :)
I received my new fire pit last week from Lone Star Grillz and it had it's maiden voyage on Saturday night while I smoked some boneless, skinless thighs. The thighs were a miss, I over seasoned them, had my timing off so the missus was getting eager and they were way to smokey. I think skinless takes on more smoke and I need to adjust some.

Here is a pic of the pit
IMG_0524.JPG

I also did two butts on Saturday morning, started about 5AM, they were 9#'s or so each. I finished them the last couple of hours foiled in the oven so I could make a 7PM dinner. Here they are before the were pulled

IMG_0528.JPG

After they were pulled

IMG_0529.JPG

The PP was yummy
The last few hours the butts were on my WSM I added a couple of racks of Spares

IMG_0527.JPG

I fought the wind all day and added more fuel while the ribs were on, that resulted in a lot of smoke, the ribs were good but the color was pretty sad and they were a little over cooked. The taste was good though

IMG_0531.JPG

Last edited:
No such things as mistakes as long as they are edible. Just learning experiences.

^^^^ yup! Just a good reason to try again! :cool:

Looks are for comps, if they taste good and everyone enjoys them who cares what the color is IMO. It all looks delish and I would be proud to serve it, the new pit looks great, may keep that company in mind when it is time to replace my current home built one.

Ditto Looks are definitely for comps.. and i like my ribs fall off the bone done... so in my book those are A+ Smokey goodness!

Looks pretty good for a first run, lessons learned and some tasty treats....I think you did very well.

Practice makes perfect!

Don't get discouraged. What you are doing is not wrong.

You just need some adjustments. You'll be fine...

Keep at it and don't stop!

If it taste good it taste good Ribs look fine You have to be careful with pbultry It takes on smoke quickly Use a mild wood like apple Cook at as higher temp like 325 indirect if you want it smoked Less time on the grill will give them better flavor or even cook direct around 325-350 with some wood Will still get a smoke flavor and the skin will be crispy

Back